Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:22 PM   #21

labrat,
not sure who your post is directed at. seems a bit aggressive unless I misunderstood. I do see benefit in your comments on ISO. Could you elaborate even more. You DO feel the d50 is very adequate at higher ISO settings? The reason I ask is that one Canon advocate pointed out that this was a Canon strength over Nikon.

And, yes, you do have to ultimately choose. But, one new to computers may ask what's the big deal with Mac's. Can you imagine the thousands of replies that person would get and the passion behind those answers.

I HAD decided on the rebel xt. Can't explain it. Didn't see the smaller size to be an issue. Maybe even an advantage. Less intimidating to wife and others who may help with quick shots. Something made me keep leaning to Canon. Then, saw more and more pictures including the safari ones above.

I was just looking for a bit more about the companies, what each represents. Innovation, service, etc. Nikon users just seem to me to be more fanatical about their gear. Can't explain it.
leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 2:00 PM   #22

I don't think that an amateur or casual photographer is going to notice too many differences between images from a good Nikon and Canon at high ISOs.

Some places rent cameras. If you are not satisified with an in-store demo, I recommend renting both brands of cameras and taking pictures in your desired situations and make the decision yourself.

Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 4:08 AM   #23

divertwo wrote:
Quote:
snakeman,

These are Super Good pictures. That is one Beautiful child. Wish you were here to take some photos of my Grandchildren.

You sure stopped the car huh? What shutter speed did you use?

Keep 'em comin'.

Thank you very much for sharing.

divertwo

hey there divertwo...thanks again for the compliments...

i think the shutter speed on the lotus shot was 1/50sec......

im sure if u have a D50 u could pull off some of the same shots ....

i cant wait to get one of my own......

btu that 18-200VR nikon lens is itching....

so if i do get a D50...id love to get that lens with it...
snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 4:48 AM   #24

here is another one taken in Auto mode....

its my Friend Robin....

i think its came out decent but at the same time i think the light wasa bit harsh....

Old Jul 10, 2006, 7:01 PM   #25

Aggressive? That's not my intent. You asked for a comparison between the Rebel XT and D50. I gave you my opinion. They're both fine cameras - you'd probably do fine with either one. But your post did cause me to go back and re-read both this topic and your other similar one more closely. In doing so, I saw where more than one person has claimed the Canon will have lower noise. That is BS, pure and simple. The Rebel XT has higher resolution; the Nikon has lower noise. Here is the results from Popular Photography's review of both cameras:

Canon Digital Rebel XT
Test Results: Resolution: Excellent (1800Vx1700Hx 1675D lines). Color accuracy: Excellent (Avg. Delta E: 7.68). Noise: Very Low at ISO 100, Low at ISO 200, Moderately Low at ISO 400, Moderate at ISO 800, Unacceptable at ISO 1600. Image quality: Excellent at ISO 100–200; Extremely High at ISO 400–800. AF Speed: EV 12–7: 0.52–0.61 sec; EV 6–3: 0.64–0.71 sec; EV 2–1: 0.81–1.10 sec; EV 0.5: 1.3 sec. Price: $790 body only; $880 with 18–55mm f/3.5–5.6 EF-S lens. CIPA battery rating: 400 shots. Size/weight: 5x3.7x2.6 in., 1.2 lb with card and battery. Card: CompactFlash Type I and II. Info: www.canoneos.com; 800-652-2666.

Nikon D50
Test Results: Resolution: Extremely High (1450Vx 1600Hx1550D lines). Color accuracy: Excellent (Avg. Delta E: 7.14). Noise: Extremely Low at ISO 200–400, Very Low at ISO 800, Low at ISO 1600. Image quality: Extremely High at all ISOs. AF Speed: EV 12–7: 0.43–0.49 sec; EV 6–3: 0.52–0.63 sec; EV 2–1: 0.71–0.81 sec; EV 0-(-1): 1.2–1.5 sec. Price: $570 body only; $700 with 18–55mm f/3.5–5.6G ED DX Nikkor lens. CIPA battery rating: 400 shots. Size/weight: 5.2x4.0x3.0 in., 1.4 lb with card and battery. Card: SD/MMC. Info: www.nikonusa.com; 800-645-6689.

Note that the Rebel gets a "Low" rating at ISO 200 while the D50 rates a "Low" at ISO 1600!

And here is the headline from Pop Photos test of the D200:

Camera Test: Nikon D200 DSLR
Amazing image quality and shockingly low noise.

leeraff wrote:
Quote:
labrat,
not sure who your post is directed at. seems a bit aggressive unless I misunderstood. I do see benefit in your comments on ISO. Could you elaborate even more. You DO feel the d50 is very adequate at higher ISO settings? The reason I ask is that one Canon advocate pointed out that this was a Canon strength over Nikon.

And, yes, you do have to ultimately choose. But, one new to computers may ask what's the big deal with Mac's. Can you imagine the thousands of replies that person would get and the passion behind those answers.

I HAD decided on the rebel xt. Can't explain it. Didn't see the smaller size to be an issue. Maybe even an advantage. Less intimidating to wife and others who may help with quick shots. Something made me keep leaning to Canon. Then, saw more and more pictures including the safari ones above.

I was just looking for a bit more about the companies, what each represents. Innovation, service, etc. Nikon users just seem to me to be more fanatical about their gear. Can't explain it.
labrat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 8:46 AM   #26

labrat,
yeah, I think I read your reply out of context. re-reading, I think you were directing it to someone who abruptly recommends an entirely different manufacturer than the post asked about. Of course, I'll take all advice and yours has been great.

I have actually been taking my own memory cards into my local camera shop and shooting tons of pictures. Colorful displays, skin tones etc. One guy was really nice and took me out to find a flower bed. Gotta admit, in just about every picture, both my wife and I like the colors of the d50. It's amazing, especially at the original price point. Yes, canon is trying to compete with that rebate but I'm pushed way over the edge on Nikon now. Only debate left is lens and I won't bore anyone with that.

Okay, kit lens or that 18-200 and have just one walk around lens??? Yes, yes, I'll go over to the lens posts now and read up a bunch over there. Thanks to all for all the help.
leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 1:09 AM   #27

Snakeman, your photos are great. May I ask which lense(s) you use on your D50

regards

divagirl
divagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 3:48 AM   #28

divagirl wrote:
Quote:
Snakeman, your photos are great. May I ask which lense(s) you use on your D50

regards

divagirl

hey there divagirl...

i used the normal 18-55 for almost all of the people shots....

for the longer range shots i used the 70-300 nikon kit lens....

both of the lenses are the ones that come as part of the kit....

i was very surprised at the quality of the pics myself...

D50 is awesome....

cheers for now.

Bryce
Old Jul 19, 2006, 4:22 AM   #29

Thanks Bryce. After all my research, I had pretty much decided on the D50 but was only 99% sure. Your pictureshave convinced me 100% that this camera is the one I want. I hope I have as much fun with it as you seem to have.

best regards, Lena (divagirl)
divagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 5:44 AM   #30

great stuff...

i think u r going to love the D50....

the one i used to take those pics belongs to a buddy of mine....

and i was also not sure which DSLR to buy luckily i have buddies who have nikon and canon cameras that i could loan and try out...

the D50 and the D200 suited my shooting best.....

one buddy of mine with a 350D was so impressed with the D50's pics that he also is rethinking his purchase as we were both on the same day taking almost the same shots.

post some pics obce u get ur D50 ...

will be great to see..

cheers for now.

bryce