Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 3, 2006, 10:08 PM   #1

Getting into DSLR's and struggling to choose camera. Factors? Yes, price, feel, etc, etc, etc. Price to me depends more on what one gets for the money. My bigger struggle has been over brand. How does one who doesn't really care, or even know what to care about, decide? Yes, feel in hands, etc, etc, etc. Have read tons of posts and tons of "what should I buy" posts.

Debate has been Nikon versus Canon. I lean towards Canon but can't explain why. NOW, reading more, seems Nikon is more of an innovator, customer minded, etc. Owners seem to be MUCH more loyal to Nikon such as Mac users, etc. Canon as a company seem to be, perhaps, more arrogant.

Rebel XT seems like a great little intro camera but don't want to rule out Nikon. If this were a bit of a PC versus Mac, Yankees versus Mets, North versus South debate, any input? Help?
leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2006, 3:40 AM   #2

Gosh, where to start... well, for starters I've used both Canons and Nikons, and they're both good. I had always felt that same "leaning towards Canon" feeling, but that was mostly due to perceived (and felt, based on use) poor performance with the early Nikon digital cameras. I couldn't give you a model number, but if you think back to the late 90's & remember those Nikons that swivelled - yeah, they really blew. Broke quickly, slow response time, mediocre pictures. That last bit was probably photographer skill, tho! :-)

So, I've always prefered Canons. When I went SLR last year, I went Canon 20d. Sweet camera. 6 months later, it & all the lenses were stolen. While I'd love to flay the bastards, at least my insurance company did its job (well, might I add - USAA has earned its rep!) and I was reimbursed.

Now, most of my photography friends use Nikons, so I had seen their work (d50, d70, d2h cameras) and liked it more. But they're more advanced than I, so I figured the technique was better. Nonetheless, I went with the Nikon d200 - mostly 'cause it seems to have overtaken the Canon 30d, and it fit within the settlement. That, and I could borrow lenses.

Now, the review on my end (and probably what you're looking for): for the most part, I think that the Nikons take better pictures under solid light - even heavily overcast light. Color casts seem sharper, and so long as it's ISO 400 or better there's no noise to speak of. Anything beyond ISO 400 and Canon really kicks 'em to pieces. Some of that is processor power, and some of that appears to be a smoothing algorithm (there's a loss of sharpness, but it's small). Still, better at high ISO to be using the Canon than investing in sharpening software for your Nikon.

OK, so I think Nikon is better for color. I also think that it handles exposure slightly better - I've improved since the Canon days though, so that might not be accurate. I can say that I prefer the Nikon photos at the SLR level. However, Canon is very nearly as good, seems to do better for portraits (I could be wrong, but my Canon pics were all white-balanced & seem to have a warmer tint to 'em nonetheless), is better in darker lighting, and definately feels better in the hand. Oh, I wish Nikon had the thumb wheel that the 20d & 30d have!

So, last word: if you're looking at the Rebel XT, try looking at the Nikond d50 and d70. I've seen incredible pictures on all three (including some eclipse pics on a d50 that were astonishing - that a d50 took 'em, that is!).

However, if it were me based on a quality for dollar thing, I'd look into the Canon 30d (best feel in the hand, excellent quality), the Nikon d70 (cost effective, good quality), and the Nikon d200 (better than the 30d in most regards, but pricier and has grainy pictures at high ISO, even for a Nikon).

Woah, that's a long post. Good luck choosing! I've made both choices and neither were wrong!
volchonok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 4:24 AM   #3

hey there leeraf.....

ive been in the same position as u for a while now.....

and ive bneen shooting with a sony F717....

so the canon nikon battle was happenign for me as well.....

MP vs pic quality and feel and blah blah....

then this weekend all was secured for me....

i went out to a lion park here in South Africa...

a mate of mine had the canon350D and i had a nikion D50(whihc i borrowed from a friend)

both of us had the 18-55 lenz on the camera's, and both of us were shooting in auto mode.....

when comparing the pics.....

the nikon pics came out FAR FAR FAR Better than the canon and even my mate with the canon thought i was shooting in M mode coz the pics were much nicer....

this weekend sealed my mind towards the Nikon for good....

thats what i will be investing in and the lenses i will keep...

try the cams out for urself.....

here is just 3 pics i took with the D50 in auto mode....

snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 6:55 AM   #4

Holy cow. While researching for a while, I'll still say I'm new to DSLR. Those pics, to my eyes, are incredible. I couldn't ask for anything more for a beginner.

That said, can you (anyone) add to some of the ISO concerns mentioned in the first reply. If 75% of pictures would be taken indoors, normal house lighting, is that where ISO will come into play? That said, inside a house, I'll clearly be within 15 feet of subject(s) - twins on the way - and the flash should cover. If primary use will be family events, indoors, front yard, eventual soccer/tee-ball games, will these ISO concerns be an issue???? Yes, I certainly expect the hobby to go eventually WAY beyond, but 4-5 years down the road, I'll get a big boy - d200, 30d, something.

Thanks

leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 4:14 AM   #5

all; those pics were taken in auto mode
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:05 AM   #6

snakeman,

What Fantastic photos: Do you think you will ever need another setting besides "Automatic". Thank you for sharing.

After looking at the photos a second time I saw my ex-wife!!!! I always wondered where she went. I know it is her because I recognized her from the clip I cut out of her right ear. I hope she is well and happy.

Justteasin' , just teasin'. /ha/ha/ha

Please share some more of those Great "Auto" shots.

I'm loving my D50 more each day. Now, if I can only get shots half as good as these.

Respectfully,

divertwo
divertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 3:59 AM   #7

divertwo wrote:
Quote:
snakeman,

What Fantastic photos: Do you think you will ever need another setting besides "Automatic". Thank you for sharing.

After looking at the photos a second time I saw my ex-wife!!!! I always wondered where she went. I know it is her because I recognized her from the clip I cut out of her right ear. I hope she is well and happy.

Justteasin' , just teasin'. /ha/ha/ha

Please share some more of those Great "Auto" shots.

I'm loving my D50 more each day. Now, if I can only get shots half as good as these.

Respectfully,

divertwo

hey there divertwo....

thanks a mill for the kind words.....

i was wondering the same thing as well...... with the D50 would i need anything else besides Auto LOL....

i will post more pics soon....lemme just get them hosted so i can post em....

cheers for now.

Bryce
Old Jul 6, 2006, 4:03 AM   #8

took this pic in Auto Mode as well....

just used picassa photo editor to do the black/white effect...

Old Jul 6, 2006, 4:06 AM   #9

also in Auto mode at a track day of ours.....

just used picassa to play around with the colours.....

greyed it all out then used a history tool to bring out the colour of the car a bit...

Old Jul 6, 2006, 4:46 AM   #10

As a practical matter, there's not much difference. The Canon/Nkon debate in my opinion is much like arguing over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Both manufacturers sell VERY high quality equipment. If you've already got lenses for one system or the other, your decision is made. If not, do a little research. Visit a camera shop and hold them both. Get a salesman to demo them if you can. Nikon has demo videos on their website. I assume Canon has something similar. In the end, you pretty much can't make a bad choice.

Having said all that, I'll add this. I LOVE my D50! It's a much better camera than I am a photographer and a blast to take photos with.
labrat99 is offline   Reply With Quote