Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 4, 2006, 2:59 AM   #1

Hopefully some knows what this is. In exactly the same place on each photo, there looks to be a green stuck pixel, and then a green line that goes all the way down to the bottom of the photo. At first I didnt even notice it as its off center and when I view at 100% I'm usually looking in the center. Shows up more prominently on darker photos, but the green dot seems to always be present. This is my first DSLR so I'm not even sure if pixel is the right term. Its not my LCD, and the problem persists on both lenses I have. The example pic was originally raw, but now converted for this post. Can provide original crop if needed. Bought the D50 refurbed from Cameta a week ago, so its still under both warranties and I want to know if this is something that cant be cleaned/fixed on my end to avoid the return hassle.

Childs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2006, 3:44 AM   #2
blr

Looks like a scratch on the sensor. Try to take pictures at different aperture settings using aperture priority mode and see if the scratch appears differently sharp. In any case, It would be safest to return/exchange your camera.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 5:26 AM   #3

Sounds like a defective sensor. A sample photo would help to confirm this.

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 2:21 PM   #4

You dont see the linked image in the original post? I highlighed the areas, and you should view at 100% I switched to aperature priority mode, and it didn't make a difference, except maybe the dot and line were slightly less visible. In regular auto mode I could see the dot and line from a 25% view.

http://homepage.mac.com/a.richardson/d50

EDIT: updated link with EXIF info.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 4:25 PM   #5

Yes, looks like a defective sensor (and a recurrent hot pixel near the bottom, to the left of the line as well).

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 8:15 PM   #6

Hope you still have your warranty. Definetly looks defective.
Kewjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 4:20 PM   #7

OK, thats kinda what I expected and sent it back today. Thanks for the feedback!
Old Jul 5, 2006, 6:30 PM   #8

Refurbished stuff usually does not have a very long warranty so call Cameta as soon as passable. They are a good company so they will probably replace the camera if they have another one in stock. If they don't they can tell you what needs to be done for fast service repairing the sensor.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote