Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 5, 2006, 7:37 PM   #1

Ok so I was at my local printing / camera store, and they had a few Nikon mount 2x teleconverters there for a whole 20$ (A vivitar and 2 no name's)
So for the fun of it I bought the Vivitar to mess around with it.

It mounts perfectly fine and the glass seems really clean still, BUT I'm not sure exactly how the camera handles unsupported lenses). (I do know that you have to use manual because the teleconvertor isn't supported, so no TTL flash or metering)

First question
I have the 18-55mm kit lens
50mm F1.8
and 18-200mm Sigma
And only the 50mm has an apperature ring, So the other 2 I can't set the apperature manually. SOOO my question is, does the lens automatically just use its smallest apperature in this situation? Because it takes pictures fine, BUT they are ridiculously dark.
Also is there any way of tricking them into being wider open?

Second question
I turned the flash on full manual to take a few pictures with the 50mm (And 2x) And the flash was ridiculously powerfull at Full power, But even when i set it to 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 or 1/16 It seemed to be the EXACT same power
Also using the Flash exposure compensation jog dial did nothing (I was hoping on full manual it would be the shortcut to the Flash power, but it seems it is not)

So how exactly do you control the flash's power when using manual?

Thanks
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2006, 8:22 PM   #2

Bump for help!
Old Jul 10, 2006, 2:52 AM   #3

"But even when i set it to 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 or 1/16 It seemed to be the EXACT same power"

Figured this out, was just too close to the object, there is a noticable difference in power.

But Bumping again for my other question!