Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:56 PM   #1

Hi Everyone,

Every time I attend a fireworks display, I always tell myself "next time I'm gonna bring my camera". Last night turned out to be "next time". So, here are a few shots that I liked. Taken with my D50, some with a 50mm f1.8, most with a 18-70 zoom.

labrat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2006, 1:08 AM   #2

Wow, those are some of the nicest fireworks photos I've seen. What settings did you use? Did you use a tripod?
Excellent pictures.
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 5:28 AM   #3

Thanks. I did a little online research ahead of time and that helped a lot in giving me an idea of how to set-up. First, a tripod is a must. Most recommendations I saw suggested leaving the shutter open 2 - 4 seconds. Second, a remote release. In my case, I had tacked the ML-3 remote onto an order from B&H a while back. That turned out to be a big help and it only costs about twenty bucks. Third, set the camera on manual. I used the "bulb" setting which meant that I had to click the remote once to open the shutter, then a second time to close it. I would hear the boom when a rocket was launched, wait about two seconds for it to reach altitude then click the shutter open. I'd watch the explosion, then click the shutter closed again.

Lens recommendations were normal to wide angle and an aperature around f11 to f16. I set up my camera with my 50mm f1.8 lens. It turned out I was a little close for that lens, so after a few shots I switched to the 18-70 zoom set toward the wide end. That worked pretty nice, so I just clicked away until the end of the display.

The only other tip I have is to get the camera set up and test ahead of time. I played with the manual settings and test fired the camera using the remote in my living room before hand so that when I got to the fireworks display, I wasn't fumbling around trying to set-up while the fireworks were going off.
labrat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 10:36 AM   #4

AWESOME!!! AWESOMe !!! AWESOME!!!

well done lab rat...these r brilliant....

im no pro but man i like em.....
snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote