Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 6, 2006, 12:11 PM   #1

Similar CCD, cheaper, and superior ergonomics. What is not to like?
maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2006, 5:08 PM   #2

worse ccd, cheaper quality, smaller, weird menu's and buttons, and more expensive.. get your facts straight :P
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 5:17 PM   #3

Also, I can't use my current collection of Nikon lenses.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 8:40 PM   #4

From what I know, its the same CCD as used in the D200. More expensive than what?

chris89 wrote:
Quote:
worse ccd, cheaper quality, smaller, weird menu's and buttons, and more expensive.. get your facts straight :P
Old Jul 8, 2006, 2:20 PM   #5

more expensive dan d50 and older d70. also the pre-production pictures i've seen on dpreview dont even come close to d200's (but thats a lens issue, wich brings me to the next thing)

and as rjseeney stated, you cant use nikon lenses on it. why buy a different brand if you have tons of lenses for nikon
Old Jul 8, 2006, 3:39 PM   #6

I agree that someone with an existing collection of Nikon lenses will not consider switching to the alpha. However, someone considering Nikon over Canon should look at Alpha. Due to image stablization, the overall lens cost will come down significantly. Also, old minolta lenses are selling for really low prices (lower than Nikon I believe). In short, more bang for your buck with alpha. Sony is lacking a pro model right now but just wait till the 9D equivalent comes out

chris89 wrote:
Quote:
more expensive dan d50 and older d70. also the pre-production pictures i've seen on dpreview dont even come close to d200's (but thats a lens issue, wich brings me to the next thing)

and as rjseeney stated, you cant use nikon lenses on it. why buy a different brand if you have tons of lenses for nikon
Old Jul 8, 2006, 10:38 PM   #7

maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
However, someone considering Nikon over Canon should look at Alpha. Due to image stablization, the overall lens cost will come down significantly. Also, old minolta lenses are selling for really low prices (lower than Nikon I believe)
If you think image stabilization and relatively lower-priced original lenses could make DSLR newcomers to choose Sony instead of Nikon/Canon , you may look back at the fate of Minolta.

I think the only edge of Sony over Nikon/Canon is itself is CCD supplier, and hence could control the prices/qualities of the CCD supplied to Nikon/Canon.

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 6:14 AM   #8

that is one thing i'm concerned about, the "other side" making nikon's chips..

Old Jul 9, 2006, 6:33 AM   #9

Well I don't know if that really is an issue. It's all about money-making at the end of the day and Sony makes money through CCD sales to Nikon as well as through its own camera-selling venture. If Sony did decide to try and screw over other companies CCD-wise, they'd probably lose their supplier deals/contracts which would result in less money for them. Everyone knows Nikon has a larger customer base when it comes to DSLRs than Sony, so it just wouldn't be wise for Sony to do something like that... not yet anyway....

chris89 wrote:
Quote:
that is one thing i'm concerned about, the "other side" making nikon's chips..
mustanir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 8:08 AM   #10
NHL

IMO the "other side" making CCD is just a red herring... :idea:

The Point and Shoot's market is much larger than the dSLR segment (and will remain so), but Sony have been making CCDs for everyone there (yes including Canon) while producing their own digicam and competing... - Why is the dSLR market so sacred or have to be any different?

BTW does anyone subscribe to Popular Photography?
In the latest issue there's an article on Sony licensing the "anti-shake" patent to Pentax (another Sony's CCD OEM), since the back and left side of the bodies look similar, so may be this is just a 'BIG' conspiracy after all... :G :lol: :-)

big_potato wrote:
Quote:
If you think image stabilization and relatively lower-priced original lenses could make DSLR newcomers to choose Sony instead of Nikon/Canon , you may look back at the fate of Minolta.
The problem with Minolta is their marketing - not their cameras (or lenses) which always came 1st. Before anyone... Yes even in dSLR, two in fact: the first dSLR, and the first dSLR to use a 'APS-c' interchangeable lenses... before anyone know what a 'digital' lens means:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/rd3000.html
http://www.nikonweb.com/actioncam/

If anyone need reminding they are also the first at putting the AF in the lens (followed by Nikon), and the first to have a wireless flash system: a decade before Canon (when did Nikon come out with their wireless flash system?) :?

One can't never find a Minolta because of their poor distribution... Sony is very different in this area and they are quite aggressive with price discount so let just wait and see how this market shape up....
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote