Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 8, 2006, 10:46 AM   #11
rey

Quote:
A Battery Grip is not available from what I have seen.
I've seen 3rd-party battery grip for the D50, but it can't be used as vertical grip as it doesn't have shutter release button.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 11:02 AM   #12
rey

Somehow this thread sounded familiar:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...470917#p470917

I know buying a DSLR can be daunting, but I think as some point you just have to get one, assuming you can afford it, and enjoy it. I've taken tons of memorable pictures since I decided to get one, and the sooner you get one the better, as there is a learning curve. Camera is like a computer, it will be obsolete the day you buy it, especially the cameras on low price range. Its whether you get the milege for it that counts in the end.

Also, remember that the body will probably last you a few years. I would put more emphasis on the lenses available for the system. In my case, knowing that I can use a walk around lens like Nikon's 18-200 VR and wide zoom like 12-24 was a big factor on my decision.

Also, keep in mind the "total cost of ownership." Nikon lenses, at least in the US comes with 5 yr warranty, Canon's come with 1 year. Also, you'll probably need a decent tripod and head, that can easily cost as much as the camera's body. Memory cards, external flash, camera bag, cleaning kit, and gas for your car.

Summer is half-way over (in the US), so hopefully you get to enjoy a camera. If you wait any longer, then I would suggest to wait until September's Photokina as others predict a D80/D50s from Nikon and at least two other cameras from others.

Good Luck!

Old Jul 8, 2006, 11:15 AM   #13

pagerboy wrote:
Quote:
A Battery Grip is not available from what I have seen.
If light-weight & compactness are the attractions of D50 to you, whether it has a battery or vertical grip doesn't really matter.

And in fact the D50 / EL-3 battery combination power capacity is so good that I don't have to recharge for 400 shots with about 1/10 of the shots having the flash fired.

And I have been holding the D50 to take vertical portrait shots quiite steadily w/o any need of external gripping tools.

Just my 2 cents of stupid opinion.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 1:32 PM   #14

Rey and all,
Appreciate all responses. Certainly agree, at some point, you just have to jump. I'm just trying to get final education. What I'm thinking of is buying an economy car and not getting intermittent wipers. Cruise control doesn't matter to me even though I log tens of thousands of miles a year. But something as simple as intermittent wipers is essential. My laptop had to have an SD card slot built in. For me, with SD's in my cameras, PDA, mp3 player, phone, etc. That was essential. I WISH I had thought to get bluetooth. I didn't because my phone didn't need it. Well, I've gotten a new phone.

Getting my drift? I'm trying to learn what some of those essentials, niceties, etc I may want, or may be able to do without. Some of the features even mentioned here, I just won't know until I know. But, for now, I was leaning 100% Rebel XT and had the 7/15 deadline for the rebate. Now, I'm 90% d50, especially after seeing all the color in Nikon photos. Rebel photos just seem a little washed out to me. Believe me, even this won't be my last DSLR. This is just a first jump and one that I already assume will be my backup camera within a year or so. Just wanting to be 100% certain with manufacturer as, stated many times, lenses become the biggest part of your collection.

Thanks for all the help. Won't be offended if any more help follows
leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 9:36 PM   #15

I have the D50, and I really miss a backlit display. I am not sure what other cameras have them. I alsways have to use a flashlight when I am taking pictures at night. Some of the info such as ISo is not shown in the viewfinder.
stevem1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 2:49 AM   #16

Wanted:

A Brave White Mouse,

who is willing to take the risk of drawing power from the USB port on the D50 to lit an LED on the top LCD panel.

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 3:51 AM   #17

Shooting mostly at night I really miss not having a backlit top display. Also, I think there is too much noise at ISO1600. The Canon's CMOS sensors do a way better job at it. Tell you what, just because of that ISO3200 and because of lower noise levels, I'd switch to Canon right now. But my D50 is such a sweet machine! What I absolutely hate about Canons is that they cripple their machines on purpose so that if one wants some features one would have to get the next best model. Such is the case with 350D vs. 20D/30D. I just wish Nikon would go CMOS already. One of my favourite features to a dSLR is being able to shoot at high sensitivities without the ferocious noise one would get with a p&s.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 4:21 PM   #18
rey

Hey leeraf, sorry if I sounded a little harsh. I didn't mean to offend. I went through the same frustration when shopping for my DSLR. But I must say I think you missed great prices of a few months ago.

I haven't checked out prices in a while, but after checking prices a few minutes ago, I'm really surprised how much the D50 prices have gone up the past few months.

If you look at old posts here, you will see people post about D50 price bottoming down at $495 for body only brand new, and even $510 with free 1GB SD card.

I checked Cameta's prices today and they sell the D50 with 18-55 and 55-200 lenses (w/5yr USA lens warranty) for $915 with a free bag. A few months ago it was $850 with free bag, 2GB card and extra battery (also w/5yr USA lens warranty).

B&H today is selling D50 with 18-55 for $700. That was $570 at one point.

In addition, Cameta used to have 3 or 4 pages worth of D50 packages, it's now down to 1 page.

What does this all mean? I think there are several scenarios in play. One is that demand is high. Nikon posted higher earnings last year due to DSLR sales. Supply is probably down. Either Nikon is having problem keeping up, or they are cutting down on production for another product, maybe a D80.

I know this is gonna sound like a 180-degree turn, but if I'm in the market now for a DSLR camera, I'd probably wait. Photokina is in September, and we'll hear more then. Also, with Sony and others releasing their budget DSLRs, it'll force Canon and Nikon to lower prices. Canon also usually have a Triple rebate that goes from Oct to Jan, if you can wait longer and want a Canon.

The downside of course is missed photo op. I'm happy with my D50 as I was lucky to buy when the price for it was at it's lowest. It also allowed me to learn how to use it before taking it to Yosemite, and other trips.

Peace.