Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 7, 2006, 5:38 PM   #1

I'm curious as to opinons...

I was low bidder on a Cameta Aution for a Demo D50+new Tamron 28-80 and 70-300LD lens recently. Arrived as scheduled by UPS but noticed that Cameta indicated that the included new Tamron 28-80 lens was shown as backordered.

Checking camera, it only had 169 prior actuations and all is as I expected. I e-mailed Cameta to see what's up w/the back ordered 28-80 lens and received the following:

In a message dated 7/7/2006 1:43:19 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, [email protected]a.com writes:
Hi,

I apologize the Tamron 28-80 lens was not shipped to you. We are scheduled to have them in by July 21st. We will ship it out to you as soon as we have them in and email you with a tracking number.
Regards,
Customer Service

While I'm understandable of circumstances, I'm torn between feeling... Hey, what's up with a 2-week delay on what was advertised as included... you've charged my cc for the full amount, I'm unable to shoot at less than 105mm eff. and now have to wait 2 or more weeks...?

Should I be passive or should I press the issue for perhaps obtaining an upgraded, in-stock comparable lens...?
--
Telecorder
FZee5/FZee30+RD-S+OlyTC1.7X
D50+1/2 of KittiesLens :sad:
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2006, 6:57 PM   #2

I bought from them and was really satisfied with what I got. I have a couple of suggestions....

1. Find an auction from them of the lens that you didn't get and ask to have that amount refunded immediately. Then you have the choice of buying that lens or a different one if you think you'll outgrow it quickly.

or

2. Send the whole kit back to them and ask for a complete refund, and buy again when the configuration you want is back in stock, or perhaps you'll get lucky and maybe a Dell deal will come up that will be a better deal for you

or

3. Press them hard for some coupons or discount or something over selling you something that isn't even available... you might want to check to see if that's allowed on eBay... seems to me an auction implies that the goods are in hand and available for shipment as soon as the auction is over...

Whatever you do, hope it works out for you!

Geoff

phydx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 7:50 PM   #3

Phydx2-

I went back and looked at their current offerings and noticed they have a couple of Buy Now auctions going for theidentical 2-new lens kits w/a 1-GB SD card so I'm going to press them on it come Monday (Their business hours are M-F EDT...)

I'll post a follow up as I go forward. I'm confident they'll make good by it... otherwise, I wouldn't have bid for the demo set... I was surprised/pleased to see the body only had 169 prior actuations...

Old Jul 10, 2006, 8:18 PM   #4

Got an update for us?
phydx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 10:38 PM   #5

Sort of...

I called and their explanation was that a shipment from Tamron had been damaged and Tamron indicated the soonest a replacement shipment of new lens could be delivered would be July 21. I pressed the rep and the best they could offer as a replacement for shipping today would be a new Vivitar 28-80 f/3.5 - 5.6w/ a filter, credit for the back ordered lens to my CC or a demo Nikon 28-80f/3.3 - 5.6Gthat "...is $20 more but..."

Since I was pressed for time, I indicated that I'd have to research the alternatives. From what I have been able to read, thus far, the Nikon 28-80 Gisn't considered to besuch a goodlens and I haven't found any reviews of the Vivitar whatsoever.

At this time, I'm still weighing my options. The Tamron is only a ~$90 new lens so they're not looking to make much of a deal up or so it would appear. I'm considering throwing some cash into the deal to get a bit better of a short range lens but have to do some research and see what alternatives I have before going back to them to press the issue some more...

Anyone have any suggestions/alternatives...? I'm hesitent to throw more cash into the deal but did notice they have a NikkorAF-S DX18mm-70mm f/3.5-4.5 G IF ED that I'm considering adding $ for. It will result in no overlap but will have me with the 18 - 300 range covered. Anyone have any insight on this Nikkor lens?
Old Jul 11, 2006, 8:22 AM   #6

great lenz....

buddy of mine uses it on his D70s for wedding shoots and it works like a king...

just my 2c.

Bryce
snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 8:32 AM   #7

That would be your best option. They are a very good vender and I'm sure they have no control over the shipping damage. If you can pay a few more bucks for the Nikon lens it would be good $$$$ spent.

Ronnie,
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 12:50 PM   #8

As an update, I contacted Cameta on Monday and discussed the circumstances. Apparently a shipment from Tamron was severly damaged in transit and they were afraid to make any determinations of the fitness of all of the lenses received.

Tamron, in the meantime, apparently has a back load and indicated the soonest they could reship a batch of new lens would be for a July 21rst delivery. (I've noticed that Cameta hasn't been doing any auctions w/the the same Tamron Kit Lenses since then and a lot of other vendors show them being back ordered)

The Cameta rep offered me to:
1. Substitute a Nikon 28-80 G lens;
2. Substitute a Vivitar 28-80 + filter
3. Credit my CC w/the value of the back ordered kit Tamron 28-80 ($40)

Since I was late for an appointment, I indicated that I'd have to research the IQ/comparability of the offered substitute lenses and would call back w/a decision.

After doing some due diligence, I decided that none of the alternatives were really enticing. I did notice that Cameta has some $219 Demo Nikkor DX 18mm-70mm 3.5-4.5 G IF ED lenses (New $290) that are typically the kit lens for the D70 kits. Reading up on this lens, it seems as a much better deal and apparently offers a much better IQ and low end range.

So I bit the bullet and had Cameta put the offered packaged Tamron lens value of $50 (originally offered/stated as a $40 value in the kit) towards the $219 Nikkor and them shipping it via 3-Day for a Friday delivery.

While not a great deal, I can't really fault Cameta for the circumstances. In a way, I guess it made me 'upgrade' to a better kit lens with a better low end range and feel that they did right by me...

Now I have two great digis to enjoy and employ my own advice...

practice, patience and perserverance... LOL

--
Telecorder (Dave)
FZee5/FZee30+RD-S+OlyTC1.7X
Dee50 + Kit Lens
Old Jul 11, 2006, 4:40 PM   #9

Cameta is very reputable and I have done many transactions with them. I have two items enroute to me as I write this. Go with the Nikkor, believe me you will not be disappointed.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 8:35 PM   #10

hey

i agree withmtclimber. i too have had numerous transactions with cameta. no complaints. my house got tagged and my canon 20d and d200 (both purchased from cameta)are gone. i ordered another d200 w/ battery grip and 18-70mm lensfrom cameta. i never used the other 18-70mm lens, but have used the new one. great fotos.i think you'll be happier with the 18-70mm lens.

jazzin junkshun is offline   Reply With Quote