Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 10, 2006, 2:18 AM   #1

I have a Nikon D70S and always shoot in NEF(RAW)mode because I like to make enlargements of a lot of my pictures. My local lab cannot process NEF files so I have been converting my files to JPEG. I would like to keep then in RAW mode, but I'm not sure how to do it. I only have the Nikon Picture Project program that came with the camera, but plan on getting Capture NX when it is released. Is there a way to convert NEF files to a RAW file that I can get processed? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Pat
mccarver_1874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2006, 9:03 AM   #2

Once you edit a RAW image, it is no longer RAW. Since all RAW images need some form of editing, I'm not sure why you would want to print a RAW file. It is possible to save the original RAW file (which I always do) by just copying the file to another folder on your computer.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 8:39 PM   #3

After you process the photograph you can save a copy as a jpg, or a tif file.

I always save my raw files and then a copy after processing as a tif & I also save a copy as a jpg.

Three copys of the same picture all saved together on a DVD and a Backup DVD.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 1:20 PM   #4

G'day,

I would suggest neither saving any of your pics as .tiff or .jpg files. Unless of course they are for using on web as is the case with the .jpg format. Most photography processing places these days should and do use photoshop as part of their processing setup. I would strongly suggest getting a hold of Photoshop CS2 with the RAW Plugin(available on Adobe's site) and use that for your editing. Then save the file as a .psd file and put it on a disk. Take it in and they can do any other requirements needed and print. They will more than likely end up changing it to a jpg format, but they will set the right dpi that they would use.

Of course that sounds a bit contradictory but if you let the "professionals" deal with a more raw version of the shot then you will hopefully end up with the best outcome. You can also just take in high res, high DPI, shots to be blown up and printed.

PSCS2 can also output batches of shots to digital negatives. Something I have yet to try out. Any info on this would be handy to know. It can also do batch jobs of any format you want pretty much. So if you have 20shots you like(.nef files straight from camera) you can open them up in PSCS2 with the RAW plugin, do some post processing to the shots(sat,contrast , exposure etc etc) one by one if you want, then batch them all to a new folder as jpegs or tiffs or bmp's or whatever.

Just a thought. But well worth looking into. Hope this helps you somewhat too.

Ollie
Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 4:11 PM   #5

Rawshooter Essentials from Pixmantec is nice, simple, and free.
Barracuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 6:38 PM   #6

G'day,

and probably inferior to Photoshop no doubt. Get what you pay for I guess you could argue.

Ollie
Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 9:50 PM   #7

The RAW converter in Photoshop is free too. Rawshooter has both plusses and minuses compared to the RAW converter in Photoshop. Give it a try, you won't hurt your photos and you just might like it.
billferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:12 PM   #8
rey

Adobe recently purchased Pixmantec's assets:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#adobe_pixm

From what I've read the two are comparable. Other options are Bibble, and ToneUp.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote