Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:07 AM   #1

...and would really appreciate some experienced D50 owners/eyes to assist in helping me understand whether my WB/settings/ISO were off in the following images between my new FZ30 and new D50. From what I remember, the setting sun's glow was somewhere between the two.

Specifically, I'm interested in whether my D50's settings used contributed to the much more golden-orange setting sun glow than the FZ30's exposure reading... and what/how I could improve in similar circumstances.

I should preface the following with pointing out that I tried to keep the digis on the ~same focal lengths (432mm on the FZ30 & 450mm on the D50); the same Auto settings letting camera choose WB/exposure etc.

The D50 images were shot w/the Tamron 70-300mm f/4 - 5.6 LD macro zoom kit lens at full zoom (besides contributing to the softness, could this affect the metering?). The Raven images had the FZ30 Post Processed w/minor Lvls adjustments and the D50 PP w/minor Lvls & Shadow lightening adjustments. No noise processing for any of the images.
Note:

The D50 raven image did have some motion blur due to operator error so I did some Focus Magic Motion Blur corrections ( (6-pixels; Oh, for affordable OIS/VR lenses!).

The images were sequenced by shooting out of the car window first with the D50 and then swapping digis and take the ~same images with the FZ30. Thus, they are within a minute or two of each other at same distance, lighting etc. w/Auto settings. The originals, cropped etc are at: http://iciclelanding.com/... ...ion=9&page=0&view=album&zoomset=24& amp;see_as=974
EXIF below images and embedded in originals.

FZ30 at 12X 432mm ...

[align=center]Image control: Zoom out | Zoom 100% | Zoom in | Expand / Contract | New window[/align]

Nikon D50 at 450mm ...

[align=center]Image control: Zoom out | Zoom 100% | Zoom in | Expand / Contract | New window[/align]

FZ30 100% Crop ...

D50 100% Crop ...

The D50 image had the following EXIF settings:
> D50
ISO200 Requested/Used
1/160-sec shutter
Aperture Priority f/10
(Read where smaller aperture assists in long reach sharpness)
AUTO WB
Center Weighted Average - AUTO Exposure
Normal Gain
Normal Contrast
Enhanced High Saturation (Ooops)
Medium Hard Sharpness
AUTO Tone Compensation
0 Hue Adjustment
Noise Reduction off
0 EV
Image Time 19:37 PDT (~20:01 PDT Sun set just below horizon)

> FZ30:
ISO80
P-Mode
f/5
1/100-sec shutter
AUTO WB
Color Effects - OFF
STND Contrast
STND Sharpness
STND Saturation
Noise Reduction LOW
Image Time 19:37 PDT

FWIW, the 'golden-orange' glow seemed to work for this image...

--
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:05 PM   #2

I think part of the reason could be the lens itself. Tamrons seem to have a reputation for producing warmer colors.
buruburu is offline   Reply With Quote