Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 17, 2006, 3:09 PM   #11

You already have two good Nikon len's, I would forget about buying another lens and the remote along with a no name crap battery and get the SB-800 speedlight. The Sb-800 has more power and you will have everything you need for what you are going to photograph. The battery you have should last all day if you don't show people every picture you take during the event. Using the camera to show the pictures eats up battery time.The Sb-800 comes with a diffuser and a built in bounce card. It is a great flash. Later you can buy a genuine Nikon battery and the 50mm 1/8 lens. I would wait to get the 1/4 50mm lens. (I did) Later you may want to get another flash to shoot portraits. Then you can get a SB-600 because you will have the SB-800 to use as the Master.

I did weddings with a D100,SB28DX flash,and a 24/120 lens for the past three years until I got My D-200,SB-800 & 18/200 VR lens.

Let Us know how you do.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:05 AM   #12

With the diffuser included in the 800 and an extra $10 rebate, the prices between the 600 and the 800 are becoming marginal - albeit the theoretical cost of the 50mm. However, as I have only used my DSLR for garden, birdand puppy dog shots outside in the bright daylight, I do realize that I am not in 'need' of a 50mm lens - for this event. What I am in need of is practice with the new flash.

I talked to his dad last night and they are not hiring a 'professional' photographer, but the bride's relative will be taking pictures...but, and here is the kicker, he WANTS me to shoot at the wedding.

So. I will be satisfied with the SB600, but the economies of an SB800 will be an easy stretch. My only sore spot right now, is that I would really like to honor the local shop but they just can't get close on the price.

Final decision will be made in the next week.

As always, thanks for the great advice and perspective. This would not be nearly so much fun without y'all!

M
melt1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:47 PM   #13

Hi Melt1109,

The thing to do is get the SB-800 and set the camera to:

Aperture preferred.

Set the lens to wide open F-stop

Set the ISO to 800

Set the flash to TTL

For the ceremony just shoot with flash head streight on and let the computer do it's work for proper exposure.

For the group shots you may or may not need to use the difusser, ( probably not.)

For Table shots at the reception you will probably want to use the built in bounce card on the SB-800.

At ISO 800 and flash set to TTL and the lens wide open you can't really go wrong. The reason I say stay at ISO 800 for the table and group shots is the flash will not produce as dark of shadows as it would at ISO 100 or 400. Of course if you shoot outdoors you will need to lower the ISO and just fill in with the flash.

Go to : www.photodex.com

Click on "ON LINE SHARING"

Put "RONNIE948 as members name

Click on the wedding to open the slide show.

this will allow you to view a wedding I shot that was very difficult due to inside the church they turned down the lights to candle light. The outside shots were with the bright Florida sun streight above Us. The reception was on the beach with the sun going in and out and the worst mixed lighting ever.

The Photographs turned out OK and I made a lot of $$$$$$ because I had the only pictures that were any good.

Please let us know how everything turns out for you.

Ronnie

Attached Images

Old Jul 22, 2006, 6:51 PM   #14

Ronnie, Thanks so much! I am trying to soak this all up. The do or die moment of purchase (wherein I make the decision for sb800 or sb600+diffuser+battery+circular polarizer for the scenic shots) is upon me as hubby is pressing for the GRAND TOTAL.

Deep breath!

I have ordered one of the Rob Galbraith (sp) highly rated Lexar 40x 1gb card for $45 delivered from Adorama (cant guarantee it will be the exact one but it is a match as far as the name goes).

I'm nervous, but I like the idea of an 'ultimate' purchase idea in the SB800.

Of course, I'll be happy with the 600+other items.

On the subject of the battery - which I know is quite long lasting and at the bottom of the list, but is there some shortage of the Nikon en-el3a or has it been replaced? GAH! sometimes I feel so dumb. Just don't see it in full supply all over the internet like I thought it would be.

Also, I'm right that both kit lenses are 52mm right?

Continued Thanks,

M

Old Jul 22, 2006, 8:20 PM   #15

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
Wedding photography is a difficult profession, and I don't see any problem with the official photographer laying down some ground rules (which I do on the rare occasions I do weddings). True, it doesn't pay to be a jerk, but having a roomful of photographers trying to do their own thing without regards to what the pro is doing is a nightmare. If there are a bunch of people "flashing up the room", then at some point an image or two is going to get ruined by some elses flash.
I used to defend wedding pros and avoided doing weddings for friends like the plague but that was when they usedmedium format manual exposure/focusingcameras, manual metering, non TTL flashandthey developed andhand printed each picture. I did do a few and was terrified of making a mistake with my Bronica SQ. I never knew if I had a single shot until I had developed them and I spent ages dodging and burning prints. Wish there had been Ctrl Z in a darkroom :?

Nowadays it's much easier, you know immediately if you have a shot, and within minutes everything is safely copied to a laptopwhere it can be critically examined. "Dodging and burning" takes seconds, red eye, distracting backgrounds, blemishes gone inan instant. So in the (IME)very unlikelyevent that someone else's flash causesa problem, you know straight away and can just click off another. It's not all about the mechanics of course.The set shots take a bit of marshalling but there is usually a bossy guest you can enlist to drag people around. A good wedding pro has a great manner as well.But from the resultsthe only thing that seems toseperate the good pro now is the odd grab or candid.

I am not suggesting we go back to wet film just because itrequires more skill and effortany more than I suggest we go back tobuggies andstarched shirts.It's justthe savings in time and effort have not been passed on to the people who are getting married so it becomes harder to defend the costs involved.

As for the kit, the SB800 is worth the extra, my first one is still going strong and has seen off 3 body "upgrades". For a wedding shoot the faster recycle time, more power and wider angle of coveragewill be a big help.

Good luck anyway with the wedding shoot I am sure you'll enjoy it. I'm not sureif you are going to be the only photographer, if you were then more than anything I'd suggest youhire or borrow another body as a back up just in case. You couldeven get one from somewhere that accepts returns and not even get it out of the box unless the worst happens, but if it does you'd be glad you had it with you.
VinnyP! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 9:05 PM   #16

The big problem is not other flash's going off. It is the fact that "YOUR" subjects are looking at the other camera. Pictures like that can not be repaired in Photoshop. It is a very big problem and I really have to watch people's eyes where they are looking. I try to get the relatives to back off until I get My Photograph and then allow them to shoot their picture. I do always get in writing that if a video or any other photographer is a problem with me taking pictures I will not be responsible for missing photo opportunity's. The person doing the Video is "ALWAYS" a pain in the neck to try to work around. They seem to always be in the way or in your picture. I used to lug around 50 pounds of Hasselblad equipment and had an assistant. I now do it by my self with my D200 and one lens (18/200VR) a Nikon SB-800 speedlight flash on a press-T bracket using a Nikon SC-29 TTL cord. It is much easier and I get to keep more $$$$ and the digital actually does a much better job.

Do not use the polarizer with the Flash. It will screw up your colors and TTL. Personally I have never ever had a need for one with my digital cameras. I do not put any filter at all on my lens when shooting a wedding or a portrait. I do put a UV on when I'm just walking around in the woods or park,beach etc doing my own snapshot type photos for shows etc.

Just set your camera as I advised you and I'm sure you will be successful on the wedding photographs. (NO FILTERS) ( only use a diffuser if you have enough light for a proper exposure) otherwise ( NO DIFFUSERS)

Ronnie

Old Jul 22, 2006, 9:14 PM   #17

Thanks again all.

The diffuser was for outside scenic Sandia mountain bright sun shots in the late August ABQ sun.

None for the wedding :=) I promise.

M
Old Jul 23, 2006, 7:20 PM   #18

Ronnie got a look at those photos and they are awesome!

Your instructions are in my camera bag.

M
Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:23 PM   #19

Ordered the SB800 and a used Tiffen circular polarizer. Used the b&h code. Should still be eligible for the rebate. $295 + $20 used filter +10 shipping = $325 Not bad a bit...no ebay, no auctions, just bought it.

Think I have found the real battery nestled in an accessory bag :-/ What's another $20. GAH.

Probably should have ordered another 1 GB card, but hopefully not need it with the 512mb and laptop.

Thanks all and let me know if you find the real Nikon battery somewhere.

Thanks - STEVE's you've done it again!

M
Old Jul 24, 2006, 7:51 AM   #20

Hi Melt1109,

Don't forget to let us know when you get back home how everything went. I'm sure you will do just fine. Have a nice trip.

Ronnie