Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 12, 2006, 9:43 PM   #1

I have the D50 2 lens kit with one card and on battery. We are driving from Alabama to NM (and back) for his father's re-marriage. I am not the photographer for the wedding but will be taking some pictures inside.

I am considering (if by some miracle) I can come up with the money, getting an SB600, Nikon 50mm AF f1.8 and another battery and several more memory cards, I'd also like the remote control (which I know you have to be in front of to use).

Also, does anyone have experience with the Digipower battery for the Nikon? Get what you pay for?

Can you think of anything else? If you had to prioritize this wishlist, what would you think was most important?

Thanks,

M

melt1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2006, 9:47 PM   #2
rey

I would put the flash ahead of the 50mm 1.8. Also, be sure to get a diffuser for better pics.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 4:11 PM   #3

Get the SB600 first. The camera battery will last a long time in standby and is able to last through hundreds of shots, so you don't need that right away.

The wireless remote control ML-L3 is about $18 USD, so you can get that easily.
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 7:50 AM   #4

Great advice! I am watching auctions and pricing the SB600 which has a $15 rebate with some vendors. In round numbers including shipping looks like $190-$14 rebate.

Crossing-fingers that hubby greenlights the purchase soon.

Is this the diffuser that is needed?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pro-Diffuser-Dom...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for the help. I know it sounds dumb to want to have the ability to shoot in the church and other indoor locations since I'm not the official photographer (who will probably be a volunteer, but nonetheless I know to stay out of his/her way). But, I have gotten some film shots in the past that have been keepers and I just want to have the chance.

Thanks,

M

Old Jul 14, 2006, 10:07 AM   #5

If you're not the official photographer, the 50mm prime (or 85 outdoors or 35 indoors) might not be a bad idea.

The official photographer will most likely NOT want you to use your flash if you're shooting the same subjects as s/he is.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:58 AM   #6

metl1109, yes that is the type of diffuser you want. I happen to have one made by Sto-Fen.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Thebac makes a point, however. If you're not the official photographer, you want to take your photos carefully, as not to interfere with the official photographer's work.
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 12:00 PM   #7

if the official photographer doesnt want you to take photo's or flashphoto's then he's scared that you'll make better photo's then him.
seriously, the flash will only be used as fill-flash, so no problem there. +the chance that your flash will go off exactly at the same time as his shutter does is too small

also, if he says that it will confuse his metering, then he's a liar and cant use his camera. there's an exposure lock even on the cheapest SLR's

so you should go for the flash
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 10:45 PM   #8

I have to agree with chris89 on the flash and the way some pro photographers treat other people with cameras at weddings

I went to a wedding a few weeks ago and was ask to take pics for the bride, and there was so many other people shotting pics at it i tried to stay out of thier way,

with todays many digital cameras in the world it is hard to go to a wedding and not seee a lot of flash going off in the place, and that is something that pro photographers are going to have to deal with and they cannot expect family and friends not to use their cameras, becase they are going to do it

get the flash and flash up the place, if he ask you to stop then stand behind him and you take a shot right after he takes one and he cannot say anything abotu that,. If he does then he is a jerk and should not be there to begin with

TexasHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 9:07 AM   #9

Wedding photography is a difficult profession, and I don't see any problem with the official photographer laying down some ground rules (which I do on the rare occasions I do weddings). True, it doesn't pay to be a jerk, but having a roomful of photographers trying to do their own thing without regards to what the pro is doing is a nightmare. If there are a bunch of people "flashing up the room", then at some point an image or two is going to get ruined by some elses flash.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 2:31 PM   #10

I'm still watching the flash auctions, hoping to pick one up used, but I think that may be impossible. I am going to push for the flash and hope to throw in the 50mm.

I don't want to get in the way of the 'official photographer' especially since I made sure his dad knew that I wasn't qualified to capture such an important moment, but I'm also thinking that I will have several opportunities as we get together probably at inside locations where I may be the only one shooting.

Though we usually spend a lot of time on the patio with diffused light from a vega lattice work cover, it's also going to be hot in NM so I expect us to be inside a good bit.

I just don't want to be 'limited' to outside shots since neither of the kit lenses are very bright and the on-camera flash has a very limited range.

I've been sorely tempted to go with some regular 512MB Sandisk cards I saw running $12ish dollars since I'm not going to be taking action shots and already use a Kingston Elite Pro which is not rated as a very fast card. And, praying the battery holds between recharges so I can afford the flash and lens.

Thanks,

M