Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 15, 2006, 5:04 PM   #1

Just like the title says... Im looking to get him something for his D70s for around $200, but $250 is probably my max. Currently he just has the 18-70mm lense and I'd like to get him another but i don't know what the best option is in that price range. Could you guys help me out?
MikeHovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2006, 5:47 PM   #2
rey

You can get him a longer lens, 70-300mm. Maybe the Sigma APO DG. If he shoots indoor a lot, maybe an external flash: SB600. Or a decent tripod and ballhead system, there are many to choose from for around $200.

But a longer lens is probably your best bet.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 5:52 PM   #3

I'm thinking if I get a lense, I'm going to stick with a Nikon. I've read some mixed reviews of the Nikon 70-300 online, is the Sigma better or worse quality? I saw that Sigma4less had the Nikon 55-200mm for $189.95, is that a good deal?
MikeHovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 7:43 PM   #4
DBB

MikeHovey wrote:
Quote:
I'm thinking if I get a lense, I'm going to stick with a Nikon. I've read some mixed reviews of the Nikon 70-300 online, is the Sigma better or worse quality? I saw that Sigma4less had the Nikon 55-200mm for $189.95, is that a good deal?
Keep in mind that a good Nikon Prime at 50mm is well under your max. These are SUPERB lenses, perfect for normal photographic uses, and at either 1.8, 1.4, FAST lenses as well. These lenses are far superior optically to any zoom!

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 10:56 PM   #5
rey

The Nikon 55-200 is $170 in Adorama. I would get it there. This lens was $210 just three months ago. It is also smaller than the 70-300. I have the Nikon 70-300mm G and when I took it hiking up Nevada Falls in Yosemite two weeks ago, the weight was unbearable after awhile. I got it for hella cheap, so I won't complain about the lens too much.

From what I've read, (and this may sound odd) sigma4less is NOT an authorized Sigma dealer! I doubt they're an authorized Nikon dealer either. Stick to B&H and Adorama if you can.

The good thing with the Sigma 70-300 DG APO is that it has a better Macro feature.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 8:01 AM   #6

DBB wrote:
Quote:
MikeHovey wrote:
Quote:
Keep in mind that a good Nikon Prime at 50mm is well under your max. These are SUPERB lenses, perfect for normal photographic uses, and at either 1.8, 1.4, FAST lenses as well. These lenses are far superior optically to any zoom!

Dave
True, they are superb lenses, but a 50mm prime is a focal range already covered by the kit lens. A telezoom would be a better choice, followed by the SB600 flash. The 55-200 is a decent, lightweight performer and offers good bang for the buck.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 1:36 PM   #7

Where does he take most of his pictures? Inside? Outside? what does he shoot?

Might help you know which direction to go. Just a thought.

But, if you're leaning towards a lens, then that is the gift you will enjoy giving.

M
melt1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 2:22 PM   #8

Nikon on doing some special gift type bundles. one is based around the SB600 for £200.

Can't remember what comes in the bundle, but I remember thinking it looked quite good.
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 3:12 PM   #9

The Nikon SB600 speedlight (flash) or the Nikon 70-300mm G lens. I have both and both are fine. The 70-300mm G is a little heavy, but it is inexpensive and allows the photographer to get telephoto shots without having to buy more expensive lenses.
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 7:04 AM   #10

The amount of times my battery has run down when I need it, how about a battery grip with 2 spare batteries and an option to use AA batteries if need be, you may have some left over for a second hand 50mm prime

http://www.ukdigital.co.uk/accs/hahn...ttery_grip.htm

you should be able to get one in the US

TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote