Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:39 AM   #11
rey

Quote:
Has anyone teamed the D50 with the 18-200 Nikkor lense? This is the combination I'm considering due to the convenience of not having to change lenses, therefore less chance of dust entering the sensor cavity etc, less equipment to carry and also better quality. Cost aside, would it be a waste to team this lense with an entry level camera?
The Nikon 18-200VR is the perfect walk-around lens for any Nikon camera. The problem is finding it, and being able to afford it. My guess is, in a couple of years, every Nikon owner will have one.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:41 PM   #12

how is the sigma 28-300 for the NikonD50??? ok combination??? the lense is cheap thats why. although VR would be the ultimate but for 3 times the cost, people would have to wait.
musicarvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 12:05 AM   #13
rey

Quote:
how is the sigma 28-300 for the NikonD50??? ok combination??? the lense is cheap thats why. although VR would be the ultimate but for 3 times the cost, people would have to wait.
I don't have the Sigma 28-300 so I can't comment on it's quality, but the 28-300 range is the film version of the 18-200mm (multiplied by 1.5 crop factor). The difference between 200 and 300 on the long end is not much, but the difference between 18 and 28 on the wide end is a lot. I would prefer the 18-200 over the 28-300.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 9:24 AM   #14
jq

Divagirl,

I purchased a D-50 and 18-55 lens and 18-200 Nikkor lens about a month ago. After much agonizing over which camera and lenses, I found it on line at B&H and said what the heck, go for it. I got the 18-55 because they were out of bodies only and I thought I could use it when I wanted to really go light. So far I have had the 18-200 on most of the time. From the first photos I took in yard, they both did good job. The 18-200 with couple of filters, SB600 flash, extra battery, memory cards and you can shoot most anything. The camera with 18-200 is a little heavier and bulkier. I have a Tokina 400 from my film Nikon that I will try for wildlife, but don't think I will need anything else. Now if they come out with 2.5 or 3 inch screen and dust reduction, I will not be happy or will be trading.
jq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 7:47 PM   #15

thanks jq - I think I may go down a similar path to you with both the 18-55 and 18-200. There is a waiting list in Australia for the 18-200 and I don't want to have to wait to start shooting. I've also seen great pictures on this forum by snakeman who has used the 18-55.

Can I ask though did you find any significant difference in picture quality etc with the 18-200. I believe it's a much better quality lense.
divagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 9:36 AM   #16

I would skip the 18-55mm all together and go with either the 18-70mm D70 kit lens or the slightly wider and slightly faster Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4. It gives you a better zoom range and is faster, even if only half a stop. Another good inexpensive lens would be a used Nikkor 24-120mm VR which can be had as low as $325 used.

My first D50 lens was a used Tamron 28-300mm and i loved it. 300mm (450mm equivalent) in such a small package was great. 28mm (42mm equivalent) was wide enough for me on a walk-around lens and the huge range nearly eliminated the need to swap lenses until i got the itch for faster and vr lenses.

Starting with a fast 17/18-50mm f/2.8 like those from Tamron and Sigma might be a good idea as well. The large constant aperature lets you keep shutter speeds high for action shots as well as shoot in lower light and control depth of focus.

One last thing to look at. If you have to go as inexpensive as possible I'd go w/ the $550 no shipping no sales tax package from Wolf/Ritz which includes their Quantaray 28-90mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. It's not super sharp but for the price (basicly free) it's very acceptable and truthfull I think its zoom range is more useful than the 18-55mm kit lens unless you're in tight spaces.
Stephen Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 5:21 AM   #17

Thanks Stephen and everyone for the good advice. Will definitely take everythinginto consideration and see what the best value (notnecessarily cheapest)package is I can get. I plan to buy my camera this coming Monday..........Yippeee!
divagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 4:57 PM   #18

I wouldn't worry about dust too much. Unfortunately, even if you don't ever change lenses, dust can still creep into the camera. There are several ways to eject the dust out of the camera.
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote