Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 19, 2006, 2:37 PM   #1

Folks,

After MUCH research on the internet as well as many calls/visits to local camera shops, I am confused as to which lens will be most beneficial to shoot high school Varsity football on Friday nights under the lights? I will be on the sidelines.

I know I need f/2.8 but must it be a Nikon AFS VR Nikkor 70-200mm /2.8G IF ED?

The only problem I have with a heavy lens such as this is the physical strain it may have on the D50 camera body. (or so I've read/heard). It looks like a bazooka.

Any help/suggestions appreciated!
SportShotsLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2006, 4:02 PM   #2

The larger lenses typically have tripod mounts, meaning you mount the lens to the tripod, not the camera which reduces any strain on the lens mount.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 5:21 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply & info!

Is a tri-pod more useful than say a monopod for shooting sports with this type of lens? Or, will I really be at a disadvantage being less mobile?

I use a monopod for baseball & it allows me to move around more.

Thoughts/suggestions welcome!

Old Jul 19, 2006, 5:39 PM   #4

A monopod will always be more mobile, as there is no setup time. Whenever you move a tripod it must be reset and balanced. I think a tripod is better if you are panning or trying to follow moving subjects, especially if you have a good ballhead. If you are focusing on one spot or area, or moving up and down the sidelines, a monopod is probably more convenient.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 5:51 PM   #5

Will the monopod take care of the weighty lens or am I just asking for trouble?

One of the key features of the VR system seems to be the ability to hand-hold the lens & eliminate the need for tripod/monopod but from what I understand, the Nikon D50 lens mount may not be able to safely support the bulky 70-200mm.

I had no idea folks would enjoy my work this much (as I have recently started taking sports pictures) & ask me to cover different sports - I don't have the cash to invest in a D2H, etc. so I'm forced to make do for now.

Old Jul 20, 2006, 12:01 PM   #6

A couple of observations:

1. You are correct, a 2.8 lens is an absolute must have.

2. It doesn't NEED to be a VR lens. Sigma makes a great 70-200 2.8 lens for less money - I've used it to great affect on my Canon 20D. They make a nikon mount as well.

3. 200mm is a bit short for football - I upgraded this spring to a Sigma 120-300mm 2.8 lens and look forward to shooting the upcoming football season with that (but it's a $2200 lens )

4. The weight of a 70-200 2.8 is really nothing. A good monopod will easily support the weight - just remember to attach the lens to the monopod not the camera. For reference I use the Bogen 679B monopod - great size and weight and no issues with my Sigma 120-300 lens which is quite a bit heavier than the 70-200. The lens mount on the D50 won't have any problems with you using this lens.

I do a lot of sports shooting - including HS football under the lights, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 2:55 PM   #7

Thanks for the help !

Would it be possible to put a 2X converter on a 70-200mm f/2.8 to achieve 300mm+ without getting soft pictures?

I was hoping to cap spending @ $1500 if possible.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 2:59 PM   #8

Not for night football. Especially with only ISO 1600. You need 2.8 at night under the lights. Day games you can use a TC - although I would suggest only a 1.4x TC.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote