Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:15 AM   #11

I think they are good at marketing their products and they seem to be improving on it all the time, maybe not as good atmarketing toprofessionals as Canon is, but that may have as much to do with their offerings at that level as it does anything else. Another positive for Nikon is that their DSLR's seem to be more consistent in design between the models. I sometimes check outthe Canons, and every model looks & feels completed different to me,but that may just be because I'm not as familiar with their cameras as I am with Nikon.
Nikonman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:48 AM   #12
rey

I think the fact that Nikon pre-announced an announcement shows a change for them. They're basically making those who might buy a 10MP Sony to wait for what they have. Also, it looks like the pre-announcement is already showing it's affect, B&H has listed D200 "in-stock" for over 24 hours now, while normally those are all gone within minutes!
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:30 AM   #13

As a newbie to the Nikon world, sorry about my poor knowledge of past Nikon marketing strategy.

But has it been a usual tactic for Nikon to play mystery
i.e. to pre-disclose some imcomplete info about new DC/DSLR products first, b4 the formal complete annoucements?
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 4:39 PM   #14

I can hardly wait for the new Nikon. I just began researching for my first DSLR after being into photographyfor 45 years, progressing from a Kodak Brownie, Yashica 35mm rangefinder, Pentax Spotmatic, Nikon F,Pentax SFn, and other film cameras. Ientered the digital world through the Canon SD series and Nikon 5400/8400, andI've been waiting forDSLR's to get smaller, into the 10 mp range, and now IS.

I've lost alot of low light and indoor photos in my Canon SD400 and Nikon 8400 to camera shake, and I just bought the SD700 IS, and am hoping for a Nikon DSLR with IS or VR built-in.

Although my respect for Canon has grown considerably in recent years, I still prefer to buy a NikonDSLR because ofmy feelings for my Nikon F -that was a real solid piece of work.

These are exciting times for photography.
rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 5:03 PM   #15
Log

rodmeister wrote:
Quote:
I can hardly wait for the new Nikon... and am hoping for a Nikon DSLR with IS or VR built-in.
don't get your hopes up. as mentioned nikon has a lit into their VR lens and it would be extremely difficult to use the VR in lens with VR in body. they make a lot of money off of their VR line... so why would they make a VR body to eliminate the need in those pricey lenses?

-Logan
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 5:06 PM   #16
Log

double post
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 7:45 PM   #17

Log wrote:
Quote:
don't get your hopes up. as mentioned nikon has a lit into their VR lens and it would be extremely difficult to use the VR in lens with VR in body. they make a lot of money off of their VR line... so why would they make a VR body to eliminate the need in those pricey lenses?

That's a real shame. Still, if you think about it, it would be great to have both the benefit of VR in-camera and VR in-lens. If combining both were a problem you could turn the in-camera VR off and use only the in-lens VR or viceversa, depending on your needs. As things look, I tend to agree with you, Nikon will not introduce VR in-camera. They could still complement it with an anti-dust system, though.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 8:45 PM   #18
rey

This is why I'm glad Sony and others are jumping into built-in VR/IS, it'll force the big guys like Canon and Nikon to do the same. Maybe not in their next cameras, but eventually the market will force them.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:21 PM   #19

I wonder if Nikon would be able to reduce the selling price of the VR lenses so as to be more competitive with Sony's (Minolta's) VR built into the camera body and still make a reasonable profit?

I guess the question is really has Nikon (and the others) been selling their in-lens VR far above the normal mark-up for lenses just because they could?

-------------- Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 2:07 AM   #20

That's for sure, Bill. I don't think they'll be reducing the prices, either. Word has it they are selling their 18-200mm VR lens like there's no tomorrow. Anyway, the bad part is on us Nikonians that can't afford a VR'ed lens. But VR is not the most important thing there is so screw it.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote