Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 20, 2006, 8:13 AM   #1

http://nikonimaging.com/global/

Sigh, and just when I was ready to buy my D70s next week, looks like I'll be waiting to see what this will be exactly.... I hate teasers.... damn you Nikon

msweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2006, 8:41 AM   #2

Well, the way I see it, if they won't integrate features such as in-camera stabilization and self-cleaning dust mechanism for the sensor then an no-one using a D70s will need to upgrade. Unless, ofcourse, they wanna wear the new Nikon fall collection.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 10:43 AM   #3
rey

So far no surprise there. Everyone's waiting for photokina for the D80, or whatever Nikon gonna call it. It looks like it'll use the same Sony CCD, hopefully they stick to using 4 channels of the CCD, like in the D200, and not just the 2 that Sony uses on theirs.

I'm more interested on the lenses. Maybe an affordable 18-70 VR, or at least an announcement that they will address the shortage of 18-200VR.

But I agree, the MP bump is just because Sony is using the same thing. Economies of scale tells us that everybody wins if they use the same CCD.

I doubt Nikon will use built-in VR on the camera, or anti-dust. They're a lens company, and makes a ton of money on VR lenses. One of Nikon's best selling point is ergonomics, and hopefully this camera sticks to pro-style controls. I hate it that on my D50 I have to go to the menu to switch from Matrix to Spot Metering.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 7:39 AM   #4

I am really looking forward to what the new camera is since, in a little while I might be moving up to a dSLR (d70s was the target camera), and was comparing the Sony Alpha, or d70s. Now I will wait
polar905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 8:11 AM   #5

I'm not seeing the announcement on the page that comes up when following the given link.

Has it changed?

-------------- Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 9:17 AM   #6
rey

Quote:
I'm not seeing the announcement on the page that comes up when following the given link. Has it changed? -------------- Bill
It's still there. You need flash support.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 9:43 AM   #7

I think it'd be much better for the entusiast (non-pro) for them to use the 2-channel version of the sensor. It's not quite as fast in burste but it also won't band the way the D200 does under taxing lighting conditions. It will also keep cost down and add product differentiation between the D80 (or whatever) and the D200. I seriously doubt you'll see any onboard VR since Nikon has alot staked in VR lenses and making the two work together would be very difficult. Sensor cleaning would be nice but i doubt you'll see that either.

Here are my predictions:

10.2 mp 2ch sensor
D70 size body but styled more like D200 (flatter VF bulge)
2.5" LCD
Most or all D70 features
SD and CF
Optional battery grip with vertical shutter release
Cable release thread on main shutter release

What I hope doesn't happen but could:

D200 battery
Glowing red triangle (j/k lol)

Truthfully I'm more interested to see what new lenses will be anounced along with this body, hopefully a 18-70mm VR, 70-300mm VR, or a non-pro f/2.8 zoom with VR.
Stephen Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 7:34 AM   #8

You won't be able to buy the camera in 20 days (or so). That is just the date of the announcement. The actual release date is going to be a bit later, and if history holds true, it won't be readily available for several weeks (maybe months) after that. The d200 is still not easy to find, and it has been out for 7-8 months. That being said it may not be easy to get this camera until the beginning of next year. Also, nikon has struggled with quality control on nearly every new body in the early days of its release.

I wouldn't let this announcement dissuade me from gettingone of the current bodiesif I absolutely needed it or was just stepping up to a DSLR.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 8:35 AM   #9

It could be that Nikon hasbeen busymanafacturing and building up their inventory of this new model for the past several months given the lack of availability of the D70s and D50 bodies since back in late April, so the wait for them to be widely available may not be nearly as long as with the D200. On that one, I think they just underestimated the demand.That being said, thedemand may be huge for this new model, far surpassing anyDSLR that has come before.Nikon is extremely good atmarketing and timingtheir products, and I think they arerolling this out in plenty of time for Christmas.
Nikonman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 9:25 AM   #10

I would agree that demand will be huge. I disagree with the statement about marketing and timing. Marketing wise, they've never been as strong as Canon. Aside from the D50, they've done very little in promoting their product. I think some of this may change, but I wouldn't expect supply to keep up with demand in the intial weeks after release.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote