Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:57 PM   #1

:-? Hello.

PLEASE READ CARFULLY...

I have what I think may be a problem with my D50. Maybe you folks can help. At the very least maybe you can try it with your D50 and see if it does the same thing:

I will do my best to describe what I have and the issue and how to duplicate it:

My kit includes the D50 and Kit lenses. I have the SB-800 but that is irrelevant to duplicate the problem.

1) Try to auto focus in a dim area on anything that the camera can lock onto using the AF assist Lamp.

2) Press the shutter button half way to activate the AF and assist lamp.

3) Now press half way and release as if snapping multiple photos or refocusing quickly on another object.

(Example: press half way [AF assist light comes on] quickly release then quickly press half way again [AF assist lamp comes on again] quickly release and press half way again...... Keep doing this in semi rapid succession.)

I can actually snap the photos and the same problem will occur.

HERE IS THE RUB:::

After doing this multiple times the AF assist light quits working about 5 - 12 snapshots in and the AF begins to "HUNT" due to lack of the assist lamp in dim conditions. Once in a while the lamp will blink very briefly but not stay on long enough to focus.

If I rest the camera for a minute or two the problem corrects itself and the process can be repeated again.

Now I have tired this in a dim lit room as well as total darkness, Tried different lenses, Tied fiddling with all the AF and flash menus and settings including Slow / Redeye / Rear.

Try to advice ( even if you think I may be doing something stupid or obvious to cause this) and if you have any questions about details I may not have mentioned please ask.

Thanks in advance!

(I am also posting this exact question in Digital Darkroom forums)
Rodomontade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2006, 1:20 PM   #2

I may be wrong but I think the camera is protecting itself from overheating the bulb that sends the beam to allow focusing. It works fine once it cools down a little.

The Pop up flash will also not function if trying to be overused without a cooling period. The SB-800 and SB-600 also can not be overused without a cooling down period.

Even the best Studio Strobes can not be overheated without shutting themselves down for cooling.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 1:30 PM   #3

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
I may be wrong but I think the camera is protecting itself from overheating the bulb that sends the beam to allow focusing. It works fine once it cools down a little.

The Pop up flash will also not function if trying to be overused without a cooling period. The SB-800 and SB-600 also can not be overused without a cooling down period.

Even the best Studio Strobes can not be overheated without shutting themselves down for cooling.

************************* ************************* ************ Ronnie
Thank you very much for the quick reply!

Your advice sounds logical.

If I slow down between AF Assist Lamp usage it will continue to perform flawlessly.

It definitely seems like a self protect issue and by your description is normal.

It's weird there is no mention of this in the manual (unless I am missing it)

I never even thought that the assist lamp could heat up enough to be an issue.

Thank You again for you help.
Rodomontade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 1:39 PM   #4
Log

i have a d50 and it does the same thing... it is avoiding overheating the lamp as previously suggested by ronnie
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 9:41 PM   #5
rey

That's also what I suspected, so I didn't try it on my D50 and instead wait for others to try it on theirs.:G Kinda like I've read my D50 can shoot 137 shots in a row if you just hold the shutter button, but I will never put that much stress on my camera's mirror and shutter.:G

Thanks for sharing.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote