Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 24, 2006, 2:41 PM   #11

Over the years I have used both and I still prefer the Nikon equipment because it just plain seems to do a better job for the type of photographs I do. When I was stringing for the paper they provided Canon equipment to use but I always just liked My Nikon F-4's better. At Daytona Beach Community college they use Canon because they are provided free for student use. At the Paper, Canon provided their equipment at about 1/2 the cost a store had to pay to resell. A Canon rep offered Me a very good deal at one time if I wanted to switch. I would not do it because my Nikon equipment is always ready to use and does a great job for me. I think both systems are very good and both will do great photographs. I just think Nikon Cameras are more rugged and feel better to hold. I also feel the Nikon lens's have better resolution and color rendition then the Canon lens's.

If they did not make Nikons I would probably use Canon equipment.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 4:54 PM   #12

I love my D50, and when I uprade it will be another Nikon. Not because of the lenses, just because I think they feel better. One of my co-workers just bought a rebel XT, and don't get me wrong, it is a great camera, but it just felt cheap. The D50 seems to be better constructed, and I think for the money, it takes better pictures. I do photography as a hobby, probably for the rest of my life, and after owning a Nikon, I doubt I will ever switch to any other brand.

Furgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 7:05 PM   #13

I like my D50 and will stick with Nikon.I do quite a lot of photoshop work at a Design Company, last week I wasrescuing pictures takenby a photographer who usesCanons.

TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 8:20 PM   #14

tommysdad wrote:
Quote:
I like my D50 and will stick with Nikon.I do quite a lot of photoshop work at a Design Company, last week I wasrescuing pictures takenby a photographer who usesCanons.

TD
The images in need of rescue are probably due more to user error than the brand of camera being used.

These Canon vs. Nikon debates are really silly:?. Both make great cameras that can be used under most any circumstance. It's really more about the photographer than the equipment. Ultimately, I don't remeber why I chose Nikon aside from build quality and feel. I'm never going to be able to afford $1500 lenses so that end of the deal never came into play. I previously used Minolta SLR's, but made the switch because they were late coming into the DSLR game. There is no right answer to the debate. Be happy with your choice, and learn to use the tools that you have to the best of your ability.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 9:45 PM   #15

vinnyp,
for one who is certainly in on these debates, and possibly perpetuating most of the current ones, I hear and understand your point. certainly the user's knowledge, experience and technique factor in more than the camera body itself. it just amazes me when SPECIFIC debates get started, how much good information comes out. I think I'll just go into every forum I'm interested in from now on, call people morons, losers, etc and tell them to prove it. Just kidding but it is funny how more heated debates bring out better info.

I now own a dslr. Will I crack the seal on the box and start using????
leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 2:39 AM   #16

I've read the posts and there is another part of the equation that doesn't seem to have been mentioned. I am well past your notional figure financially all in Nikon gear including a D2X, 12/24, 17/55, 28/70, 70/200, 200/400 and 500mm lenses (plus other older lenses which will work on the D2X) and most of my photography is motor racing and some weddings. So why did I buy Nikon and not Canon? Well, it wasn't because I have been a Nikon user for 25 years because whenI decided to go digital I needed not only the camera but new digital lenses with it. I tried a Canon EOS1 and the D2X and still came down Nikon. The answer is simple but still the best reason for buying one camera over another.

It felt better in my hand and easier to use.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 5:17 AM   #17

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
tommysdad wrote:
Quote:

TD
The images in need of rescue are probably due more to user error than the brand of camera being used.

I agree with you there rjseeney ,but it still puts me off buying Canon :G

TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 5:16 PM   #18

The Nikon D50 appears to have better ergonomics and build quality than Canon's Digital Rebel XT. I also like Nikon's general upgrade path for bodies and lenses. Also, Canon charges $200 more for their XT for a smaller camera that doesn't have an LCD screen at the top. Nikon has the extra LCD screen for a slightly bigger body.

I've tried my friend's Canon 20D, and it just didn't feel "right." I disliked that a command dial on the Canon 20D was near the shutter button. That would imply that you must use your indexfinger to access it, but you use that to hit the shutter button too. The Nikon D50 has a command dial by the area where your thumb can get at it, which is helpful.

So, I went with Nikon.
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:51 AM   #19

dont forget canons have thumbwheels as well (except the rebels)

and the question was if you had 10000+ money to spend so why is everybody aiming at the cheap models?
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 9:11 AM   #20

chris89 wrote:
Quote:
dont forget canons have thumbwheels as well (except the rebels)

and the question was if you had 10000+ money to spend so why is everybody aiming at the cheap models?
$10,000 isn't going to get you top of the line. That's a body and 1 lense plus misc. gear, like tripods, monopods, etc. It'll get you started, but the pro's have a lot more than 10g in their equipment. Plus most of the folks in this forum are casual.erious amateur and just aren't as familiar with the pro level equipment.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote