Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 27, 2006, 9:29 AM   #21

At one time I had about $60,000 worth of Hasselblad and Nikon F4 equipment. The one 40MM Hasselblad Lens was $4,000. Two 503CX bodys Prism meter viewfinders, 50MM, 60MM 80MM & a 150MM lens. Hasselblad flash's. White Lightning Studio Strobes, Two F4 Nikon bodys and many len's and accessories.

I did any type of photography that came my way except under water. I don't do any under water anything. I made enough to keep me in Corvette and Harley Davidson Transportation. I had enough time off to travel to every state on My Harley. It paid for My house and all through My good photography career I never left My Day Job. As long as I had My regular job I could choose only the jobs I wanted to do. I never depended on My Photography to be my final living $$$$. I was lucky to have a job I could come and go as I pleased and took months off at a time for travel.

I now do the exact same thing I have done for the past many years using only a Nikon D-200,18/200 "VR" lens and a few SB-800 & 600flashes. I sold everything I used in the past When I got My D-100 with a 24/120 lens a few years ago.

The point I'm trying to get across is: No matter what camera system you use, The new Digital SLR cameras with a knowledge of how to use it properly is far better then any film camera of the past as long as the photographer has a good computer and knows how to process the photographs for printing. You really have to have Photoshop CS2 and really know how to use it to be succesful in the digital age of taking pictures for money. You also have to know what your camera can or can not do and be sure you know how to use it properly. "Read Your Manuals", "Take some classes", Educate yourself to learn as much as you can and keep your eye's and minds open for anything new that comes along. This forum is great because We can always ask questions and hash around ideas and share what we know.

The Art of Photographyis anever changing cycle.

Ronnie

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:17 AM   #22

Like I have already said, my equipment comes to probably well over $20,000 but then that is the price to pay if you are either a serious amateur or professional. I couldn't get the shots I do with a D70 and a 80/400 lens - I need the pixels and I need the bokeh and sharpness only a professional long lens can give. This isn't one of my best shots and I haven't had time to go through over 1,200 photos since the race but this gives at least an idea of the difference that better equipment can bring. I chose this at random purely because it is an american muscle car and most here are from the USA. The photo was taken at Le Mans
Attached Images

cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 3:29 PM   #23

Hi Cameranserai,

I did this photograph with My D100 and a 24/120 lens at Sebring Florida. I did 900 pictures that day and most of the images were sold. This one was sold to GM for a banner.

There was a professional photographer from AUTO-WEEK there that was using a D70 with an older 70/200 F2.8 lens. He said his D2X was way to heavy to carry around in the heat all day.

I now use a D200 and 18/200 lens but I'm not a professional and don't depend on my photos to make a living.

Your Photograph is really good. I would love to go to LeMans and photograph the race some year. I live in Daytona Beach,Florida so I do shoot some NASCAR and I do try to get to Sebring. As long as I can shoot some photos and make a few bucks, I a happy guy.

Ronnie

Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 4:26 PM   #24

chris89 wrote:
Quote:
dont forget canons have thumbwheels as well (except the rebels)

and the question was if you had 10000+ money to spend so why is everybody aiming at the cheap models?
I didn't see a thumbwheel on the 20D...Hmm, did I not see it?
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 5:58 AM   #25

you didnt

well here it is:

http://www.slrcamerainfo.com/images/j/pics/20D-back.jpg
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote