Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 26, 2006, 4:54 PM   #1

Well I`m going to have to make this choice in a few weeks time, D200 body or a D70s with 18-200vr lens.

They both cost about the same.Just wanted to know what all your choices would be.At the end of the day I need a new camera , and to relegate my trusty D50to a backup.

After this purchase the next thing on my list is a Macbook (yes you did read that correctly :G), so if I went with D70s and VR lens , I`d have to wait a while for the D200.(which I will buy eventually)

I photograph right across the board,studio portraits ,buildings ,retail, products, landscapes(don`ttouch weddings,,,yet)

Thanks in advance,, I `m not interested in the new nikon, the D70s has come down in price and at present is good value and of course reliable.

TD

tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2006, 9:51 PM   #2

I'm thinking the D70s plus the 18-200 VR represent the best investment over time because the 18-200 VR will likey be useful to you over a series of future bodies, long after the D70 or the D200 have been replaced by the future latests and greatests.

Just my humble opinion.

------------------ Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 3:17 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply Bill, thats very sound advice.I never thought of it that way.

TD
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:35 AM   #4

Of course now you have the D80 to confuse you! I would say get the lens, and the laptop and stick with your D50. But if you need another body the D80 falls in between the D70s and the D200. D70s seems to be getting kind of long in the tooth to be buying now. Nice thing about the D80 and D50 combo is they both use the SD cards. I think that is going to be the way of the future. The SD has several advantages such as no bent pins and they are more compact. I think the Pro Level cameras will have both CF card slots and SD slots. The more "Prosumer" DSLRs will go towards the SD. They sure are becoming cheap and I think there is not much difference in potential capacity. They are also the most common in the P&S world so having the SD slots is good for people upgrading. I am thinking D50 or D80 myself.
miatapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 4:09 PM   #5

Thanks for the input, D200 is on order with 3 gig of sandisk Ultra II CF cards,a battery grip and 2 spare batteries. I amimplementing the Mac and various otherequiptment into a business plan,it will hopefully be funded by a goverment small business grant, fingers crossed :?

TD
Old Aug 10, 2006, 6:50 PM   #6

Hi Tommysdad,

You are really going to like the D-200. It is a great camera and does everything well. I already know of a couple of pro's that use their D-200 in place of their D2X because the photo quality is as good and the D-200 is not as heavy to carry around in the Florida Heat all day. I don't have a D2X so I can't compare them. I'm happy with the D-200 and do not even want anything else.

I also have the 18/200 "VR" lens and I have not wanted for more then what this lens can do. It is perfect for everything I shoot.

I have the MB-D200 battery pack with an extra battery.

Stroboframe Press-T flash bracket

SB-800 & 600 Speedlights, with a SC-29 TTL cord

I do everything with this set-up including weddings,Portraits,Pets,Groups and scenics.

Yep, I'm sure You will be happy with Your choice.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 6:51 PM   #7

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 11:12 AM   #8

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Tommysdad,

You are really going to like the D-200. It is a great camera and does everything well. I already know of a couple of pro's that use their D-200 in place of their D2X because the photo quality is as good and the D-200 is not as heavy to carry around in the Florida Heat all day. I don't have a D2X so I can't compare them. I'm happy with the D-200 and do not even want anything else.

I also have the 18/200 "VR" lens and I have not wanted for more then what this lens can do. It is perfect for everything I shoot.

I have the MB-D200 battery pack with an extra battery.

Stroboframe Press-T flash bracket

SB-800 & 600 Speedlights, with a SC-29 TTL cord

I do everything with this set-up including weddings,Portraits,Pets,Groups and scenics.

Yep, I'm sure You will be happy with Your choice.

Ronnie

Thats a nice set up Ronnie,at the moment I have a Tamron 18-200 XR Di II, its asuperblens and has served me well,but Iwill be swapping it for the Nikon 18-200 VR very soon.The speedlight set up sounds like a good idea, I have theSB600 sotheSB800 will have to go on my list.Sounds better than luggin`around my Elinchrom kit.Hopefully the D200 will arrive in time for my brothers wedding.It will be my first wedding shoot and I`m very much lookin forward to it.

Take it easy

TD