Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 29, 2006, 4:25 PM   #11

Log wrote:
Quote:
chris89 wrote:
Quote:
edit:
and nooooooo nikon! dont place the delete button somewhere else
i agree that that delete button looks awkward and misplaced.

-Logan
I think the delete button is fine. The way I review pics (palms facing in, thumbs toward the top), the button will now fall in easy reach of my thumb. Cosmetically, the camera looks fine, and any experienced Nikon user should be able to pick it up and start shooting right away. That is if they are able to get one.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 2:17 AM   #12

Now that D80 is in sight, when do we expect to have the firmware of D70/50 updated, to release the hidden features???

I wish finer control of ISO & WB for D50.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:23 AM   #13

big_potato wrote:
Quote:
Now that D80 is in sight, when do we expect to have the firmware of D70/50 updated, to release the hidden features???

I wish finer control of ISO & WB for D50.
Don't get your hopes up, especially with the D70. Unless there is a radically new menu update, I doubt you'll see a firmware upgrade. One the D50 has to have less of a feature set by nature to differentiate it from the higher end cameras. Also the D70 is technically going away, so there will be little focus or time spent on the camera by Nikon. Finally these cameras have been in release for over 1 year now with no bugs or issues associated with them that a firmware upgrade would fix.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 1:46 PM   #14

any un-experienced user should be able to do the exact same thing :-P
i didnt like the delete button on the d200 and now they're putting it in the same place on the d80. if you're working with a heavy/long lens then its just not comfy to operate.
i just dont get the hots for this cam design. and the flash still looks like a canon flash
but we'll see how it turns out

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
Log wrote:
Quote:
chris89 wrote:
Quote:
edit:
and nooooooo nikon! dont place the delete button somewhere else
i agree that that delete button looks awkward and misplaced.

-Logan
I think the delete button is fine. The way I review pics (palms facing in, thumbs toward the top), the button will now fall in easy reach of my thumb. Cosmetically, the camera looks fine, and any experienced Nikon user should be able to pick it up and start shooting right away. That is if they are able to get one.
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 4:11 PM   #15

Since the price seems to be set at around 899$ MSRP (USD) I think it will be a worthy upgrade for my current D50.

though All I really care about is a faster FPS, possibly the extra Megapixels, a better (/faster) Autofocus tracking. AND what I'm hoping for is a good performing ISO 3200.

Cons are its going to be bigger and heavier than my D50 (which I am very comfortable with holding) And I doubt the battery will last as long. but hey maybe they will suprise me.
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 9:23 AM   #16

Any information about how the D80's high ISO noise performance will compare to the D50?

--------------- Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 6:06 PM   #17

BillP2R wrote:
Quote:
Any information about how the D80's high ISO noise performance will compare to the D50?

--------------- Bill
Until the camera gets into someones hands for testing it's impossible to tell. The D200 has been faulted for high ISO performance, although it is still very good. Likely the D80 will be similiar in performance, since its using the same sensor. The key to controlling noise is exposure. Bad exposures magnify noise issues.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 1:37 AM   #18

"The key to controlling noise is exposure. Bad exposures magnify noise issues."

Though the problem is always the same, The only time you really "need" ISO 1600+ Is when you can't control the exposure

Night shots, Club pictures, very very bad lighting, etc etc.
So its nice to see a good Noise camera like the D50 seems to be.
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 9:27 AM   #19

I understand that the D80 will use the same sensor as the D200, but doesn't the D50 and D70s use the same sensor but have different high ISO noise performance?
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 12:21 PM   #20

Actually, I think the D50 and D70/D70s use different sensors.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote