Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:27 PM   #1

Well, IT'S HEEEEERE!

Would appreciate your help on these two questions. You may begin rolling your eyes for the first question as I know this will seem extra EXTRA stupid even for me.

Question 1. The manual lists 5 types of batterieson page 18:

1. Alkaline-manganese (1.5V)

2. Lithium (1.5V)

3. Nickel (1.5V)

4. NiCd (rechge 1.2V)

5. Ni-MH (rechg 1.2V)

I know that using non-rechargeable batteries is cost prohibitive, (see question 2), but can the non-rechargeable batteries 1-3 above be commonly found at say the local wallyworld or walgreen's? I am taking the manual at its word that the 'Alkaline' batteries in my fridge for the wireless keyboards and mice, etc. here at home are NOT what they are talking about in #1. Honestly, maybe I've just never looked but I'll be darned if I ever remember seeing anything but an alkaline AA.

Question 2. The 4 battery recycle time is the same for both rechargeables. The x5 recycle time for the Ni-MH is better - as well as the min. number of flashes. The chart shows the NiCd as (1000 mAh) and the Ni-MH as (2000 mA). Given this information and/or based on your experience with the SB-800 on the Nikon, can you recommend which type of rechargeable (NiCd or Ni-MH) AND the brand.

As ever, THANKS and I am SOOOOO excited! I have a chance to shoot a retirement function on Monday. I will be happy to get some real-world experience besides practicing on family.

M

p.s. so far I haven't put ANY batteries in it yet :-(

melt1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2006, 8:07 AM   #2

I use Energizer NIMH batteries and keep a few sets of the lithium alkalines (either duracell or energizer, whichever is cheaper at the time) to use as spares. I actually get a bit more mileage out of the lithium AA's (per use, obviously not over time as they are not rechargeable) so if you're just a casual user these may be more convenient to use, as they keep forever and don't discharge over time...dead batteries after not using your flash for a month, which happens with NIMH's. They also work much better in cold weather. That being said, for the heavy user, NIMH's are the way to go.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 12:17 PM   #3

Thank you so much!

M
melt1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 5:49 PM   #4

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
I use Energizer NIMH batteries and keep a few sets of the lithium alkalines (either duracell or energizer, whichever is cheaper at the time) to use as spares. I actually get a bit more mileage out of the lithium AA's (per use, obviously not over time as they are not rechargeable) so if you're just a casual user these may be more convenient to use, as they keep forever and don't discharge over time...dead batteries after not using your flash for a month, which happens with NIMH's. They also work much better in cold weather. That being said, for the heavy user, NIMH's are the way to go.

For some reason, I find those energizers are not as good as they market them to be. Compared to my 2300mAh powertech batteries, the energizer 2500mAh perfomed quite poorly, and this is even after recharging on the same day. Using my previous camera, the S2, i was able to get about 200-300 shots out of the powertech. But the energizers, 150 shots only. I replaced with a second set of energizers and still same problem.
wisely_foolish is offline   Reply With Quote