Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 1, 2006, 6:03 PM   #11

zygh wrote:
Quote:
I don't know, I mean, if the Sigma flash does the job, why would you pay double the price just to have Nikon written on the flash unit?
The "Nikon" written on the flash means it will work flawlessly in Nikon's creative lighting system, which is perhaps the easiest to use multi-unit light that I have ever seen. It is truly set it and forget it, and easy to get professional type results. Yes it is expensive, but it does all the work for you. No 3rd party flash incorporates all of the features of either the Sb800 or even Sb600.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 6:41 AM   #12

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
No 3rd party flash incorporates all of the features of either the Sb800 or even Sb600.
Well, there's your money's worth, right there, then.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 8:07 PM   #13

some flashes give too high voltage for a dslr, it could fry the electronics for flash metering. so watch out
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:12 PM   #14
Log

cant you buy a surge portector sort of thing to protect against that? or do the nikon flashes have protection against that?
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 1:49 AM   #15

It's more of a problem with compact cameras which often won't take more than 24V. The Nikon DSLRs are good for 250V, but you have to get the polarity right.

Keith.

chris89 wrote:
Quote:
some flashes give too high voltage for a dslr, it could fry the electronics for flash metering. so watch out
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 7:27 AM   #16

Log wrote:
Quote:
cant you buy a surge portector sort of thing to protect against that? or do the nikon flashes have protection against that?
Nikon flashes are designed to be used with Nikon camera's, and therefore use the correct trigger voltage. Older, 3rd party flashes may have higher trigger voltages. To my knowledge, there is no adapter to correct trigger voltage differences.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 7:56 AM   #17

250V ?? well, allot of flashes give 400+v

keith1200rs wrote:
Quote:
It's more of a problem with compact cameras which often won't take more than 24V. The Nikon DSLRs are good for 250V, but you have to get the polarity right.

Keith.

chris89 wrote:
Quote:
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 7:58 AM   #18

This adaptor corrects for potential trigger voltage problems:

http://www.weinproducts.com/safesyncs.htm

However, if you search the Nikon Support site then you will find the camera is designed for mains powered strobes and will withstand 250V provided the polarity is correct. There are very few flash guns that get to that sort of voltage. It doesn't need to be a Nikon flash to be safe, in spite of the scaremongering. I haven't seen anything with over 400V.

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

If you are buying a modern flash it is likely to be less than 24V.

Keith.

keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:00 AM   #19

I would consider getting the SB-800 first. Later if you decide on another flash you can pick up a 600 and will be able to use the SB-600 off camera as a wireless TTL slave using the 800 as a master. If you ever upgrade your camera to a D200 or D70or the new D80 when it comes out,you will be able to use the SB-800 off camera using the pop-up on camera flash as aslave. It is a good idea to purchase the SB-800 now and get the $25.00 rebate.

Also, The SB-800 has more power.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 5:58 PM   #20
Log

i was already planning on completely skipping the 600 qnd getting the 800.. more bang for the buck
Log is offline   Reply With Quote