Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 31, 2006, 1:01 AM   #1
Log

After a weekend in DC and help preparing a very well off friend for a party i have some more money and almost have enough for a flash. i was going to bypass the sb600 and go for the sb800, but thne saw the sb80dx.

they are both similar in price and i was wondering if the sb80dx would be of some benefit for sports. (basketball and football) as i will be trying my hand at them this year for the local paper.

any guidance is appreciated.

still new and learning,

-logan
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2006, 1:34 AM   #2

It doesn't sound like a good match for DSLRs:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/sb80dx.htm

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 3:26 AM   #3
rey

The SB 800 has a $25 rebate that ends today (7/31), so if you want that, better get it soon. It's $290 @B&H after rebate.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 12:23 PM   #4

Will the SB22 work on the D50?

If so, would it have any downsides compared to, say, a SB600?

zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 12:39 PM   #5

zygh wrote:
Quote:
Will the SB22 work on the D50?

If so, would it have any downsides compared to, say, a SB600?

It will work but only in manual mode. Only the SB600 and Sb800 can be used in full TTL mode and take advantage of the full feature set of nikons current DSLR stable.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 12:42 PM   #6

I have never used an external flash on a camera before. What does manual mode mean for the SB22?
Old Jul 31, 2006, 3:13 PM   #7

Manual mode means setting aperature and shutter speed based on a distance/iso chart on the flash.

Along with the SB600 & SB800 from Nikon there's the Sigma EF-500 DG ST and EF-500 DG Super (iTTL versions) that work full automatic with the D50 and D70. The DG ST is a stripped down model that offers no LCD and the only modes are iTTL, Manual Full Power, and Manual Half Power. It canbe had as low as $100 on eBay. The DG Super is a full featured model on par with the SB800 at about half the price.

There are a few other iTTL flashes that are supposed to work full automatic though I can't comment from personal experience:

Quantaray QDC800 iTTL
Quantaray QTB9550D iTTL
Sunpak PZ40x iTTL
Stephen Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 3:32 PM   #8
Log

id rather stick with nikon.. i know it sounds weird.. but... what can i say...

so i think ill go for the sb800... which ill have enough funds for in about a week or 2

thanks

-Logan
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 7:23 AM   #9

I don't know, I mean, if the Sigma flash does the job, why would you pay double the price just to have Nikon written on the flash unit?
Old Aug 1, 2006, 1:05 PM   #10
rey

I don't have an external flash either, but I'm saving for one. Does these 3rd party flashes have wireless capabilities as well? I've seen a nice setup with a guy using four SB800 to do his portrait lighting work, using them to do background lighting, side lighting, etc. and the flashes are triggered remotely by his D70s. Everything, stand and all, fits on a small bag.

Also, I've seen simple setup where the landscape shooter uses an SB800 to light the background, and the built-in fill flash (or another external SB800) to light the foreground. Again with D70s, since the D50 doesn't have built-in wireless flash trigger.

If these 3rd party flashes have compatible wireless trigger, they might be a good option.

Another thing is, flash sync. I don't really know how important it is, but I wonder if 3rd party flashes have the same flash sync capability as Nikon made flashes.

I haven't really done much research on flashes since I dont have the money to buy one yet, but I'm interested to learn from those who use them, especially from those who use them wirelessly, and for more than just "diffused & bounced" work.

Thanks.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote