Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 31, 2006, 2:21 PM   #1

Hey everyone,

Lastnight, I was going to see some friends that I haven't seen in a while. I wanted to take my D50 with me to take some pictures. We were in a hurry...so, I grabbed my bag, (without checking to see if it was closed all the way) and ran. As I took off, my bag flipped upside down and the camera fell out and hit the ground. (about 5 feet off of the floor):sad:I think it hit the ground pretty hard. Now, I don't know if it is broken or not. Do you think that the D50 Body is strong enough to keep from gettting broken? I hadchecked it after it had fell.Everything seems fine with the camera, except the auto focus is slow, and whenever the lens turns to focus, it is very slow. (It barely even turns at all). I just got this camera about 2 months ago and I'm about to have it payed off and I don't want to have a dead camera and have to get a new one!! Does Nikon inspect cameras for you to make sure that they are not damaged? Someone, please help!! I'm supposed to shoot some photos for people in a couple of days.

-TheCartoonist

(SOMEONE PLEASE REPLY!!!!)
TheCartoonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2006, 3:42 PM   #2

Hi, I'm not sure where you live but here's a link that may help you:

(Look to the bottom of that page for resources)

http://www.photo.net/learn/camera-repair

GOOD LUCK!
SportShotsLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 3:49 PM   #3

Has anyone ever dropped their DSLR before and it still worked? :?

(By the way, I dropped my D50 on carpet)

-TheCartoonist
Old Jul 31, 2006, 3:49 PM   #4

The picturescome out great. Another thing thoughthat is wrong with itis, that whenever I zoom in on something with my 28-80, it does not focus. It stays blurry...

-TheCartoonist :|
Old Jul 31, 2006, 4:28 PM   #5

Ok everyone, I 've checked my D50inside and outand there is nothingat all wrong with it!! :-)I put the D50 body againist my ear and jiggledit a little...I heard something wiggling around in there...but I guess it does thisin every D50 body. I'm so happy!

-TheCartoonist :-)
Old Jul 31, 2006, 4:32 PM   #6

I have a D50 too but I would still have it checked out. I don't think there should be any loose parts inside.....:O
SportShotsLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 5:17 PM   #7
rey

If it takes pictures then it should be alright. Focusing could be because there isn't enough contrast to what you are focusing. Was it normally slow-focusing before? The 28-80 isn't the best lens out there, so I won't be surprised if it focuses slow. The camera drives the focusing for it. The sound you here is probably that device that detects if the camera is in portrait or landscape (vertical or horizontal) position.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 5:20 PM   #8

I took some pictures a minute ago and they look like as if they were just taken when the camera first came out of the box. They look great. There wasn't anything actually jiggling inside....(you could barely even hear anything) it was like a very very soft rattle. My D50 seems great. I remember once whenit was laying on my bed and itfell off. (only 2 feet though)I would get it checked out of I could, but right now Idon't think that I have the moneyto get it checked out.How much do you think it would cost if I sent it into Nikon? I can't really tell where the rattle is coming from, but, I believe that it is near wherethe flash is somewhere. Whenever I shake the camera, while the flash is popped up, the rattle softens even more to where you cannot even hear it, so it might be thatthe flash itself, rattles....

Oh, by the way, whenever the camera hit the carpet, the flash popped up. Do you thinkthat theimpact of the camerahitting the ground, hurt the flash in anyway?

Thanks rey...yeah,itwas a little bit slow before itfell on the ground too. When I took a picture a minute ago, the lighting in the room was very low. (The only light that was on was a lamp.) That was probably another reason why it was slow.

I don't know if your camera does this or not but, sometimeswhenever I want to take a picture, I will be zoomed in andfocused but it will just make the ''Rrrrrrrrr'' sound. (The "Rrrrrrrrrr" sound is the sound of the lens turning to auto-focus.) I guess that it needs more light or I'm too close to the object and need to scoot back. I think it did this too before it fell on the gound.

-TheCartoonist
Old Aug 1, 2006, 2:23 PM   #9

I dropped my D70 (or it might have been my D2X) and it still works fine. The lens that was attached at the time, 24-120 VR, does have trouble focusing now. Other lenses work fine on all of my bodies, but the 24-120 has trouble focusing regardless of what body it is on. It still works, it just needs a little nudge of the focusing ring now and then to get it to lock in on a subject.
dboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 8:02 PM   #10

i just dropped a d50 on a tripod an hour ago, outside.
nothing wrong with it, even the body is completely intact lens has some dirt on the glass but i think d50 can survive quite a punch
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote