Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 31, 2006, 4:35 PM   #1

My first post, ever & anywhere, so pardon the inevitable footfalls, but educate me non-the-less...

I've decided to buy the Nikon D50 as my first digital slr purchase.
Considered the D200 for a bit, but deduced it was over my head, and i could put the $ into lenses that would grow with me and use D50 as my point & shoot when if i move up. My experience is limited (Yashika 35mm SLR, couple of Minolta 35mm SLRs, mostly lazy Sony Cybershot since the kids have come along) Took a couple of photography classes in college and burned lots of film during different phases of my life, but my retention ranks me as "beginner" by any standards.

Would appreciate any and all suggestions for the best lenses to start with.

My needs are as follows, in order of importance:

1. Taking photographs of new office furniture installations (indoor, office environment, probably florescent lighting)

2. Taking product shots (mostly chairs, but eventually jewelry) with a backdrop and photo lighting.

3. Taking portraits of my kids (and for a couple other mothers that have been nagging me)

4. Just your everyday snapshots.

I can get the 18-200 mm f/3.5-5.6 VR in a package deal with the D50 (This the one everyone loves?) I won't need telephoto much at first, so would I be better off with
something else? Other ones considered:
  • High Resolution Lens NIKON 18-70MM[/*]High Resolution Lens NIKON 70-300MM[/*]

I realize I'm asking a lot, and these answers are out there somewhere, but I can't seem to find them
Thanks!
Crashcourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2006, 6:20 PM   #2
DBB

Crashcourse wrote:
Quote:
My first post, ever & anywhere, so pardon the inevitable footfalls, but educate me non-the-less...

I've decided to buy the Nikon D50 as my first digital slr purchase.
Considered the D200 for a bit, but deduced it was over my head, and i could put the $ into lenses that would grow with me and use D50 as my point & shoot when if i move up. My experience is limited (Yashika 35mm SLR, couple of Minolta 35mm SLRs, mostly lazy Sony Cybershot since the kids have come along) Took a couple of photography classes in college and burned lots of film during different phases of my life, but my retention ranks me as "beginner" by any standards.

Would appreciate any and all suggestions for the best lenses to start with.

My needs are as follows, in order of importance:

1. Taking photographs of new office furniture installations (indoor, office environment, probably florescent lighting)

2. Taking product shots (mostly chairs, but eventually jewelry) with a backdrop and photo lighting.

3. Taking portraits of my kids (and for a couple other mothers that have been nagging me)

4. Just your everyday snapshots.

I can get the 18-200 mm f/3.5-5.6 VR in a package deal with the D50 (This the one everyone loves?) I won't need telephoto much at first, so would I be better off with
something else? Other ones considered:
  • High Resolution Lens NIKON 18-70MM[/*]High Resolution Lens NIKON 70-300MM[/*]

I realize I'm asking a lot, and these answers are out there somewhere, but I can't seem to find them
Thanks!
Photographic equipment is a more expensive habit then drug addiction.

I can make two suggestion.

1. Primes are ALWAYS better than zooms. And they are a lot cheaper. For example a top of the line 55mm Nikon prime is not much more than a $100! And the quality is superior to any zoom.

2. Tamron, Sigma, Tokina all make wonderful lenses. While Nikon glass is often better, that is not ALWAYS true, so what ever mm you decide on, check the reviews for the equivalent third party lenses. You might be pleasently surprised on how much money you can save without a loss in quality.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:50 AM   #3
rey

If you can afford (and find) the Nikon 18-200VR, get it! IMHO, that lens alone is a reason to pick Nikon system over others.

The difference between 200mm and 300mm is not much and the Nikon 70-300G is soft beyond 200mm.

Oh yeah, keep in mind the cost of "other stuff" like bag, tripod, external flash, etc.

'Hope this helps.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 7:08 AM   #4

If I were you I would get d50 body with Tamron 17-50 F2.8 and Nikon 50mm 1.8. Later I would add flash SB600 and telezoom lens. Just my opinion.
thorxgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 10:51 AM   #5

Thank you everyone! I sincerely appreciate every nano-second of your time!
I've dusted off my old photography text (1/4 of it devoted to processing!) and have
been poking around in this forum (I'm the mom of two :P young ones, and it's summer vacation, so I get little, interrupted, bits of time to research.)

I now see the 50 mm prime 1.8 as a logical starting place. (THis should allow me to do the office shots i need to do for a client (she's not picky) or I'll get a wider angle prime at the same time. I've found the page in my text with the "angle of view" diagram, and have re-gained my conceptual understanding of what these lenses do (although i have yet to integrate the way digital cameras interpret these angles)

I was hesitant to get anything but Nikon lenses unless specifically guided by those in the know, but will now investigate the Tamron 17-50 F2.8. The Nikon 18-200VR will be a gift to myself when the price comes down a tad, and I've proven myself worthy.

But my first stop is the library to brush up on the new basics.

You all are a little overqualified for that type of hand holding...thanks! :bye:

Old Aug 2, 2006, 6:23 PM   #6
Administrator

Crashcourse wrote:
Quote:
I now see the 50 mm prime 1.8 as a logical starting place. (THis should allow me to do the office shots i need to do for a client (she's not picky) or I'll get a wider angle prime at the same time. I've found the page in my text with the "angle of view" diagram, and have re-gained my conceptual understanding of what these lenses do (although i have yet to integrate the way digital cameras interpret these angles)
That's important (how a lens will work on a digital camera).

A lens will appear to be 50% longer on a Nikon DSLR. Ditto for other DSLR models using the same size Sony sensor (Pentax, Konica Minolta and Sony DSLR models).

For example, using a 50mm lens on a D50, you'd have the same angle of view that you'd have using a 75mm lens on a 35mm camera (50mm x 1.5 = 75mm). That's because the sensor is smaller than 35mm film.

That's also why most of the kit lenses start out so wide (around 18mm) on entry level DSLR models (because they'll have a narrower angle of view/more apparent magnification when used on most DSLR models).

That 18-200mm VR you're looking at will behave the same way that a 27-300mm lens would on a 35mm camera from an angle of view perspective. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:24 PM   #7

given you have time, you can check out epinions.com or dpreview.com for stats and good advice on camera and lensmodels to choose from for your needs. d200 may seem intimidating, butthe camera has excellent format to follow. the 50mm lens (i have)is great and the tamron 90mm (i have one on order, for macro, portrait shots)has perfect reviews according to epinions. the 70-200mm vr lens (i have)is wonderful for when you may need zoom and kit lens 18-70mm lens (i have)(covers a good range of shooting, nice crisp fotos, may do well for your needs now)is nice also. good luck in choosing gear for your needs.

:|
jazzin junkshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:49 PM   #8

hi

i have a d50

i dont know your budget

and also the 28-200 xr tamron

Your Best Price free ship
$149.00

i love it

perfect enough for me

ive also been cruising the 19-35 tamron

Your Best Price
$104.75 and now that theres a 30 rebate on it $30 Rebate

i cant resist

FM reviews give it 8.4

for around 210$:| 2 cool lenses
automaton2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 4:40 PM   #9

Thank you everyone for your input!

Just wanted to update you that I ended up going in a different direction and am now the excited (and slightly annoying:love: ) owner of a Nikon D80 with a 50mm 1.4mm lens.

I ordered it from Ritz.com sight unseen (gulp) and have had it for almost a week. From my first click I knew that my Cybershot would not be trusted again.
On automatic, instant frameables with no CS2 required (for this amateur eye, anyway)

I'll be eavesdropping on the Nikon forums as i build up my courage and budget for accessories.

Thanks again for making my first forum post such a great reminder of the innate helpfulness of humankind.
(Ok, a little over the top, but I am a woman in love :|)

Old Sep 14, 2006, 6:13 PM   #10

Dear Crashcourse, congratulations on your purchase. As a long time Nikon user, I may have a slightly different take on the lens question.

To me, it is not really the picture quality of the 3rd party lenses that makes me stick to only Nikon Glass.

All Nikon lenses act the same. In other words, all the focusing rings/zoom rings, etc. work the same way. With autofocus etc. this is not really the problem it used to be, but to me, I can buy another Nikon lens, put it on my camera, and use it like I owned it for years. Not so with other makes.

Also, keep watch on some of these forums about some problems with 3rd party lenses. Some will not autofocus correctly or some other function may not work properly, even though the lens may be built specifically to work with Nikon.

I have a friend who has sent his Sigma lens back twice for modifications to work with his Nikon equipment, and it still causes him problems.

Maybe I am too much of a purist, but I have bought one Tamron lens, had trouble with the focusing, sold it and nothing but Nikon makes it into my camera bags now, and never a problem.

Just my $.02

Terry
tbconnors is offline   Reply With Quote