Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 3, 2006, 11:52 AM   #1

iI wonder if their is anyone on this site that has used both the Nikon D70 and the D70S camera. I have the opportunity to purchase a new D70 from a dealer at a much reduced cost as opposed to a new D70S. Don't want to do this if the D70S is far superior. Appreciate any comments from those who are conversant with both models

John

[align=left]aaaaaaonder if [/align]
bembridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2006, 1:46 PM   #2
rey

From what I can remember, one of the main reason Nikon released the D70s is because there was a major problem with the D70 known as the "Blinking Green Light of Death". Basically, the camera dies. I don't know if Nikon fixed this with later versions of D70. Some people encountered this problem a couple of weeks after getting their camera, and others encountered it 2+ years later.

If you do buy the D70 new from an authorized dealer, Nikon will fix this BGLOD for free if you do encounter it. But honestly, that's enough for me to stay away from the D70 and go for the D70s or D50. If you can wait longer, Nikon will officially announce the D80 on Aug 9. Basically, it's a D70s with 10.2 MP starting price is $900 for body. You probably won't be able to buy it until early October.

FYI, I have the D50 and happy with it.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 3:05 PM   #3

Steve's review of the D70s starts with a list of the main differences http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...ikon_d70s.html

The menu and autofocus of the D70 was largley brought into line with the D70s by a firmware upgrade.

As far as I am aware the BGLOD problem was fixed on the later D70 bodies.

I use a D70 and am very pleased with it. My friend recently bought a D70s and there are no significant differences in the way that it operates but the bigger screen is nice.

Ken

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 1:40 AM   #4

Many thanks Rey, Am taking your good advice. Very much appreciated

John
Old Aug 6, 2006, 1:42 AM   #5

Many thanks Rey, Am taking your good advice Much appreciated

John
Old Aug 6, 2006, 1:46 AM   #6

Thank you for the information. Have been reading quite a lot about the D70 going dead and note your comments regarding the later models of the D70 not being effected. Problem was solved as the when I went back to the shop to enquire if it was one of the last models produced..............It had been sold !!
Old Aug 9, 2006, 5:08 AM   #7

Hi Rea, You were correct mate, Nikon have just announced the D80 as you predicted. Stand by for the D80S

Bembridge
Old Aug 10, 2006, 6:34 AM   #8

Hello there,

Iexperienced that the D70 SDK does not work with the D70s!

That's some sort of disgusting, because this can take a year to get it from Nikon. Or you don't get it at all!

So, please does anybody know where to get an SDK for the D70s ?

Or C++ or Matlab functions to operate the cam by remote ?

Thanks for now, have fun

Olga

Olga Blosmanova is offline   Reply With Quote