Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 6, 2006, 2:10 PM   #1

How many shots is the D50 rated for? I apologize for not finding this info it is posted somewhere or easily 'g**gled'.

Also, if one shoots jpeg+raw, do these count as 2?

I think I remember reading somewhere that at that 'maximum' number of shots the camera needs to be serviced.

Thanks,

M
melt1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2006, 3:09 PM   #2
Log

i believe its 50,000 actuations... but i could be wrong... itend to not worry too much about it... as if you worry too much then youll miss good shots...

-Logan
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 4:00 PM   #3
rey

I think it's more like 25 to 30K. You can check the manual's warranty, it might say it there. But from what I understand, this is "anecdotal" limit. The main issue here is the shutter window. It moves in such a fast violent speed, that it can only snap so much before before breaking. Using a lot of continuous shots can add to the wear. That's why when I see kids in best buy holding the shutter button and shooting continuously for minutes at a time, I cringe.

I think the going rate for Nikon to replace the shutter is $150. So it's still not too bad. When shooting RAW+JPG, the shutter is only triggered once, so it only counts as one. I wouldn't worry about it too much though. But it could make you shoot for quality instead of quantity.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 6:10 PM   #4
Log

rey wrote:
Quote:
But it could make you shoot for quality instead of quantity.
well said... and now that you mention it 25-30k sounds about right...
Old Aug 6, 2006, 7:20 PM   #5

Unless you're a busy, busy pro I wouldn't worry about it. Like the other poster wrote, it could inhibit you when you should be thinking about images. I'm certain the D50 will be long obsolete by the time the shutter stops working. Interesting question though.
rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 7:54 PM   #6
Log

another thing... as said already dont worry about it... i have around 3k actuations on mine and i got it on july 3rd... so about a month ago... and i have been quite busy with my camera in my mind.,.. so i have around 22-27k actuations left... which at the rate im going is about 8-9 months... i plan on upgrading then anyways so i tend not to worry...

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"just enjoy!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"-Logan
Old Aug 6, 2006, 11:02 PM   #7

Log,

Wow! Three thousand exposures per month. I'm impressed. You must be a hardcore photographer. What kind of photography do you do?
rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 11:10 PM   #8
Log

actually my photos are pretty spread... i have a 9 month old nephew whos always screaming for attention and loves the camera and then i have dabbled in birding... but yet to get out on a day that isnt overcast... architecture as i travel to DC every couple of months and then landscape as i go to a national park near by...

believe me 3000 a month isnt too much... i know someone who put 120k actuations on their d70s in 3 months... thats 40k a month...

i just enjoy taking pictures and dont worry about how long i have until my camera dies:O

-Logan

PS remember... those 3k exposures were in the first month when i was sooooo excited to get my new "toy" im sre things will slow down a tad now that summer is coming to an end and i have school and my studies
Old Aug 6, 2006, 11:41 PM   #9

I think after 30,000 or 50,000 shots, to get a new DSLR, or pay to repair the shutter, is reasonable.

But the problem is:

You are on an important trip (business or family vacation), and the D50 dies silently, without giving you a screaming, before you set off ...

So is it a good plan to get a new one or replace the shutter beforehand? Or simply bring a stand-by DC during the trips which is near the expected end-of-life ???

Or are there symptoms e.g. strange shutter noise, to alert you?
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 8:05 AM   #10

Thanks all. No I'm not a busy pro and I haven't been paying a bit of attention to the number of shots taken. It just crossed my mind....

Thanks for your help!

M
melt1109 is offline   Reply With Quote