Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 9, 2006, 12:50 PM   #1

Hello everyone...

FIrst... Thank you for any information or opinions you can provide. I currenly have a Panasonic FZ15 and a Nikon N65 film camera. I want to get a new Nikon Digital SLR body. I know the new D80 just came out, but that is not something I can afford most likely. So I am looking at either the D50 or the D70. What is the difference between the two?

Also this is what I have and I am guessing my current lenses will work with whatever body I get. Let me know if I am wrong.
•Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 telephoto lens
•Nikkor 28-80mm 1:3.3-5.6 wide angle lens
•Tokina 19-35mm 3.5 superwide angle lens
•Sunpak 5000AF Power Zoom flash

The D70 is newer, but is it really better? Is it worth more money?
anm8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2006, 7:23 PM   #2

First, I think the D70s will be tougher and tougher to find. In addition, the D80 is basically a d50 body with alot of d200 features packed in it, and only slightly more expensive. For me, that makes the choice between the D50 and D80. All of your current lenses will work and cover a decent shooting range. Unless you need the extra features of the D80, I would probably just get the D50. Aside from a bit less control, the D50 outdoes the D70 (the d50 by the way is newer than the D70)..I probably wouldn't consider the D70 at all.

One other issue with the D80...If you need the camera now, it won't be available until Sept. 1st.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 2:11 PM   #3

Thanks for the information. I ordered a D50 body.

Are the extra batteries on Ebay any good? There are some that are really cheap and that scares me a little. Does anyone have experience with any of them or a seller that is good? Extra batteries always come in handy.

Also, can the voltage be a problem? I have seen both 7.2v and 7.4 volt. Mostly the difference is the Mah rating. Have seen 1300 to 1900. Can either the voltage or Mah rating effec t the camera in a bad way?
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:56 AM   #4

Heres a good rule

NEVER EVER EVER, buy an unnoficial battery!
Ive read NUMEROUS threads on here alone that complain about the camera dying freezing, not taking pictures, not saving pictures, etc etc, And always its a 3rd party battery that causes the problems

For the few $ you save, you are putting your 700$ camera at risk... Its not worth the (possibly) minor risk associated with it.

Also since you bought the D50, I doubt you will EVEN need an extra battery, I usually go about 1600 shots before I charge the battery, and have never actually run out. This is on the best quality setting JPG's, and I use the flash somewhat often, and never poweroff the camera.
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 1:11 PM   #5

The D50 battery has incredible longevity. People are not lying when they say they can take over 1000+ shots on one charge. This is including looking at the monitor and navigating the menus. Your results will vary based on how you use the camera, but you should get at least 1000 shots on one charge.

The Nikon batteries are impossible to find right now, but I also would not go with a 3rd party battery.
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 1:42 PM   #6

I have a third party battery that I got from one of the big box retailers. It works fine, and although not as long lived as the Nikon battery, I have had no issues or problems.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 3:00 PM   #7
rey

Quote:
The D50 battery has incredible longevity. People are not lying when they say they can take over 1000+ shots on one charge. This is including looking at the monitor and navigating the menus. Your results will vary based on how you use the camera, but you should get at least 1000 shots on one charge.
That's not true. The most I've gotten on my D50 was 700 shots :-):-):-)

I normally wouldn't recommend 3rd party battery, but I've read good results, on another site, from people who got this:

http://store.1800emart.com/en-el3.html

They ran tests on it, and it actually have more capacity than Nikon battery. I'll probably get one for my Labor Day weekend trip.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 12:43 PM   #8

My D50 arrived at night and that was a bit of a bummer. But it gave me time to charge the battery and glance over the book a little. I love the way it feels. I can hold onto it without getting a cramp in my hand and it's nice and solid. I will have to readjust a bit moving away from my FZ-15 and it's OIS system. Having that got a little on the lazy side i think.

Overall it's great to be backwith an SLR and even better that it's digital. My wife asked me how long I will have this one. I said I would have it awhile, but don't think she knows how much I can buy FOR it.

What is the best site to use for hosting pictures to use as links here?

Old Aug 28, 2006, 8:01 PM   #9
rey

Quote:
I use photobucket.com it's free and they give you lots of space.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 4:58 AM   #10

rey wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I use photobucket.com* it's free and they give you lots of space.

To be honest with you if you're willing to part with a tiny bit of cash the BEST solution is your own webhost.
For example I have a couple of domains I own and put them on a webserver that costs me well under $10/month and allows me FAR more versatility and space than photobucket ever would.
Currently I have 100GB of webspace and 1TB of transfer alloted to me each month so even if I wanted to post full resolution images for download on a very busy forum it would be no problem.

Look into it it's worth it. a domain name can be had cheaply I personally used godaddy.com but there are others.
and as far as webhosts there are hundreds some better than others. Right now I'm migrating all my stuff away from www.ixwebhosting.com to www.1and1.com because the 1and1 is far more stable and overall a better value.
Sky042 is offline   Reply With Quote