Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 16, 2006, 1:17 AM   #11

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
I never had the banding problem. Mine was in the second or third batch of D-200's.

If you want to see some photos from my D200 go to:

http://WWW.PHOTODEX.COM

click on on line sharing at top of page

in members name put ronnie948

Open up the wedding pictures by clicking on the1st. window.

This was a very hard wedding because of the terrible lighting. The ceremony pictures were done in candle light type setting with the lights turned so low. The outside pictures had the sun almost straight overhead, The reception was at a place on the beach with mixed lighting, plenty of mirrors and the whole beach side was all glass with the sun going in and out of the clouds changing the light every two minutes or so it seemed. The D200 and SB800 speedlights got the job done and I sold a ton of extra pictures along with the DVD slide shows.

I can find NOT ONE single fault with this D200 and 18/200 lens as far as any quality of thefinal photographs in the real world of photography is concerned. I shot that wedding in fine jpg. I could have shot using RAW & JPG setting and had both files of each picture. It was the very first wedding I did using the D200 and I was not that familiar with that mode at that time. I did use auto ISO at the reception. I really like this camera and lens. They do everything I need them to do, and they do it very well. I don't really care where it was made because it is put together perfect.

Ronnie

Hello Ronnie,

Thanks for sharing the wedding photo's. Did they hire you as their photographer? Or were you a guest taking the opportunity to give your new camera a workout with their permission? I see you took a boat load of photographs.

I liked the slideshow program used by Photodex. Not that typical shot to shot. Though, they did use a few too many different types of transitions imho.

And about banding...thats great. That your D200 wasn't of the first batch. If I get one now I should avoid the banding issue too.

Also, before I forget, regarding the 18-200 VR lens you used...where was it made? I have to ask.

Have a good week!
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 1:24 PM   #12

Hi Darkdtshd,

My camera as well as the lens & MB-D200 battery pack were all made in Thailand. My SB-800 flash's say Made in Japan.

The Firmware Version on My D200 is : A = 1.01

B = 1.00

I was told the one's with the banding problemhad version A = 1.00 & B = 1.00

I take a ton of photo's at weddings to allow me to do the DVD slide shows. I do the slide shows on speculation that I can sell some of them after the wedding album is delivered.

Yes, I was hired to shoot the wedding. I do not ever take a camera to a friends wedding I'm invited to. I always go as a guest.

I only will photograph a wedding if I'm paid to do it. I only use word of mouth advertising and I'm very selective on what I do. I like to do small weddings when NO alcohol is served at the reception. Years ago I would do large weddings but now I'm more selective due to some health problems.

Ireally like tophotograph very large groups. They are my favorite.

I do Store interiors, Condo interiors, House interiors and of course I do exteriors if they need them.

I do pets, Family portraits, single person portraits or anything I can get paid to do except I will not do Underwater photographs. I will do Aerial's as long as the customer will pay all expenses plus my fee.

I do all of My Photography with the D200, 18/100 VR lens and I usually use Nikon Speedlights but I do have Traveler 750 studio strobes to use for extremely large areas when I need more light.
I try to keep My Photography FUN. I will not accept a job if I think the Bride's Mother is going to be a PIA. You can tell in five minuites if a Bride or Grooms Mother is going to be A (&(*%^#$ ) PIA or not. Even so, I get everything they want in writing and that is just what they will recieve. Extra photo's and the DVD slide show are added extras after the paid for assignment is taken care of. I hope this answered your questions.

Oh!! I have a friend with A D2X and He has the 18/200 VR that is "Made in Japan" it is exactly like mine with the same amount of slight lens creep and all. If you want one that is Made in Japan you need to keep your eyes on the lookout for one. He got His at Best Buy in Daytona, I got mine from Colonial Photo in Orlando. I can find no difference in the quality of the pictures at all.

Ronnie

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 1:49 PM   #13

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Darkdtshd,

My camera as well as the lens & MB-D200 battery pack were all made in Thailand. My SB-800 flash's say Made in Japan.

The Firmware Version on My D200 is : A = 1.01

B = 1.00

I was told the one's with the banding problemhad version A = 1.00 & B = 1.00

I take a ton of photo's at weddings to allow me to do the DVD slide shows. I do the slide shows on speculation that I can sell some of them after the wedding album is delivered.

Yes, I was hired to shoot the wedding. I do not ever take a camera to a friends wedding I'm invited to. I always go as a guest.

I only will photograph a wedding if I'm paid to do it. I only use word of mouth advertising and I'm very selective on what I do. I like to do small weddings when NO alcohol is served at the reception. Years ago I would do large weddings but now I'm more selective due to some health problems.

Ireally like tophotograph very large groups. They are my favorite.

I do Store interiors, Condo interiors, House interiors and of course I do exteriors if they need them.

I do pets, Family portraits, single person portraits or anything I can get paid to do except I will not do Underwater photographs. I will do Aerial's as long as the customer will pay all expenses plus my fee.

I do all of My Photography with the D200, 18/100 VR lens and I usually use Nikon Speedlights but I do have Traveler 750 studio strobes to use for extremely large areas when I need more light.
I try to keep My Photography FUN. I will not accept a job if I think the Bride's Mother is going to be a PIA. You can tell in five minuites if a Bride or Grooms Mother is going to be A (&(*%^#$ ) PIA or not. Even so, I get everything they want in writing and that is just what they will recieve. Extra photo's and the DVD slide show are added extras after the paid for assignment is taken care of. I hope this answered your questions.

Oh!! I have a friend with A D2X and He has the 18/200 VR that is "Made in Japan" it is exactly like mine with the same amount of slight lens creep and all. If you want one that is Made in Japan you need to keep your eyes on the lookout for one. He got His at Best Buy in Daytona, I got mine from Colonial Photo in Orlando. I can find no difference in the quality of the pictures at all.

Ronnie

Hello Ronnie,

Thanks for the information. Now I know how to avoid getting a 1st batch D200 should I decide to go Nikon. I have to look for both "A=1.01 B=1.00" together? That's how it's listed on the box? Can I find out before opening the box at the shop?

And it IS interesting that the 18-200 VR comes in two varieties. Thailand or Japan. Good to know. Strange as it is. Was yours cheaper? Curious. Thanks for the heads-up!

Has your buddy with the D2X been into photography long? He must be very experienced I gather being that he's using that beast.

And approximately how many shots do you get per charge if you have 2 battery packs in the battery grip? Did you get any where near 2000 as one of the other guys mentioned?

Take care!

Old Aug 16, 2006, 3:30 PM   #14

The Version numbers are on the camera menu. I think they just needed to adjust the firmware to repair the problem.

My friend does the same thing I do. He bought the D2X when they first came out. I used it a couple of times when I had My D100 but could not see paying $5,000 for a camera body. The photo's I did with His D2X were not any better then My D100 pictures. I found it was to heavy to be comfortable when equipped with the flash and a stroboframe bracket.

I probably would not have bought the D200 except I really got a good look at it at the PMA convention in Orlando. I got to shoot some pictures with it using My own CF card. The Nikon Rep put the MB-D200 battery pack on it and I was hooked. It is heavier then My D100 but not nearly as heavy and bulky as the D2X.

I took My CF card over to the HP booth and put the photos on a DVD, Then went to the Epson Booth and did a few prints.

On My way home I stopped in Orlando's Colonial Photo and bought My D200. I can't compare the lens price because I paid for My 18/200 lens and battery pack along with the extra battery all together. $2,450.00 for it all. I had to wait two weeks for the lens because they were out of stock at the time. I used My 24/120 for the bike week pictures on the photodex site.

I don't really know how many pictures I could take before the batteries die. I just always fully charge them before going to a shoot. They are still going strong after a wedding. The gage always shows full.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:10 AM   #15

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
The Version numbers are on the camera menu. I think they just needed to adjust the firmware to repair the problem.

My friend does the same thing I do. He bought the D2X when they first came out. I used it a couple of times when I had My D100 but could not see paying $5,000 for a camera body. The photo's I did with His D2X were not any better then My D100 pictures. I found it was to heavy to be comfortable when equipped with the flash and a stroboframe bracket.

I probably would not have bought the D200 except I really got a good look at it at the PMA convention in Orlando. I got to shoot some pictures with it using My own CF card. The Nikon Rep put the MB-D200 battery pack on it and I was hooked. It is heavier then My D100 but not nearly as heavy and bulky as the D2X.

I took My CF card over to the HP booth and put the photos on a DVD, Then went to the Epson Booth and did a few prints.

On My way home I stopped in Orlando's Colonial Photo and bought My D200. I can't compare the lens price because I paid for My 18/200 lens and battery pack along with the extra battery all together. $2,450.00 for it all. I had to wait two weeks for the lens because they were out of stock at the time. I used My 24/120 for the bike week pictures on the photodex site.

I don't really know how many pictures I could take before the batteries die. I just always fully charge them before going to a shoot. They are still going strong after a wedding. The gage always shows full.

Ronnie
Hiya Ronnie,

Guess I'd have to make the sale rep open the box and pop in a working battery to check my D200. That or just assume it isn't one from the first batch. Which should have sold out months ago any how.

I read that if you did have the banding issue then your camera was to be "adjusted". Whether that meant something as simple is a firmware upgrade I don't know. But some how I doubt it as they said the camera would have to be "sent in". Shrug.

I'd love to attend a PMA show. But so far I don't think they've come up to Toronto. If they did I didn't notice. Or maybe it wasn't a PMA show. I think I do recall a photography show a few months ago.

As for the D2X vs D200...I think for most of us "regular folk" the D200 would be more than enough. What you gain with the D2X would only benefit a seasoned profesional. A National Geographic regular photographer. Speaking of which I am planning to subscribe to NG Traveller. I love travelling and NG always has awesome world-class photography.

Any how, thanks for all your input and sharing your experiences with your D200! Cya around on this forum. Feel free to PM me later any time...