Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:45 AM   #1

I have a Nikon F100 film camera and was interested in getting a DSLR. I have been reading a lot of reviews for the D200 as well as the Canon 30D and 5D. All reviewers have great things to say about the D200 however they all say that there is noise above ISO 400, and that the Canon is better in this respect. Can anyone comment on this? How bad is this or is this nitpicking? Since I am used to film, what kind of lighting situation is this, and doesn't the lens that you use also play a roll in how dark you can shoot? Also, the million dollar question for me, will an image from the D200 look as good as a print from my film camera without touching up the images using software.

Thank you for your help.

Ken
ken6217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2006, 6:51 PM   #2

Hi. Can anyone lend me a hand?

Thanks in advance. Ken
Old Aug 11, 2006, 9:16 AM   #3

Hi Ken,

With digital pictures you will need to process your photographs if you want them perfect or You can just take your CF card to Walmart or someplace and have the store process and print them. The store will crop and process your pictures just like they do your film now. I just always do my sizing,cropping and processing and put the outcome on a DVD or CD to be printed correctly by anyone.

As far as noise with the D200. I don't have any problem at all and I shoot My weddings at ISO 1000 in a dark church.

Go to : WWW.PHOTODEX.COM

Click "ON LINE SHARING" at top of page

put RONNIE948 as members name

then you can view some wedding pictures I did using the D200 & 18/200 VR lens.

Ronnie

Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 7:32 PM   #4

Hi Ronnie,

Thanks for the help.

Ken
Old Aug 13, 2006, 1:35 PM   #5

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ken,

With digital pictures you will need to process your photographs if you want them perfect or You can just take your CF card to Walmart or someplace and have the store process and print them. The store will crop and process your pictures just like they do your film now. I just always do my sizing,cropping and processing and put the outcome on a DVD or CD to be printed correctly by anyone.

As far as noise with the D200. I don't have any problem at all and I shoot My weddings at ISO 1000 in a dark church.

Go to : http://WWW.PHOTODEX.COM

Click "ON LINE SHARING" at top of page

put RONNIE948 as members name

then you can view some wedding pictures I did using the D200 & 18/200 VR lens.

Ronnie

Hello Ronnie,

How long have you had your D200? Has it been totally reliable? I ask because I know it's made in Thailand. And yes I am biased against gear that are now manufactured in Thailand. I know most Nikon owners will probably tell me there's nothing to worry about. But at the moment I can't shake the feeling. If it was made in Japan I would probably have been the first in line when it debuted.

Any one is welcome to chime in on this btw!

Besides that fact the D200 looks like a solid camera. Feature, performance and build wise. Why couldn't they have it made in Japan along with the D2H/D2X/D2Xs?? Sheeesh...Damn suits!!

And like Ken6217 I too am also looking at the Canon 30D (not the 5D) <---- Made in Japan!!

Thanks!
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 7:38 AM   #6

I've had my D200 for about 2 months and taken nearly 2000 shots. I haven't dropped it or anything and haven't had it that long but I have to say that one of the things that impress me the most is the build quality. It's built like a tank, especially compared to the D50 which feels like a toy when I pick it up now.
eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 8:52 AM   #7

eddie_dane wrote:
Quote:
I've had my D200 for about 2 months and taken nearly 2000 shots. I haven't dropped it or anything and haven't had it that long but I have to say that one of the things that impress me the most is the build quality. It's built like a tank, especially compared to the D50 which feels like a toy when I pick it up now.

Hello Mr. eddie_dane,

Thanks for your posting. Did you get almost 2000 shots with a single charge? Curious.

And, when you were about to buy your D200, knowing it was built in Thailand wasn't a factor for you?

As for the D50...I haven't picked it up...but whether it feels like a toy or not it's now a great deal. If you are a complete novice, on a budget and want a "no compromise" digital camera (I meant vs. a prosumer or P&S camera). Great camera to start with.

Another question for all D200 owners...if you're using the "battery grip" accessory with 2 battery packs...are you getting anywhere near 3600 shots per charge? Being that the D200 is "rated" (by Nikon) for 1800 shots under a temp of 20C. Of course "real world" numbers are different. As they are from user to user.

Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:00 PM   #8

Hi Darkdtshd,

I bought My D200 back in Jan or Feb this year. I got the Camera and MB-D200 battery pack and an extra battery on my way home from the PMA show in Orlando Florida. I had to wait two weeks for the 18/200 lens. It is a very good camera and I have had no trouble at all with it. The 18/200 lens will creep a little but I had Pentex lens's creep more. "Not really a problem." With two batteries installed in the MB-D200 I can shoot My weddings from start to finish without a worry about losing power. If I ever have a battery problem I can install "AA's" in the MB-D200 battery pack and just keep working. It is really a nice feeling and sturdy built camera. If it was put together in Japan it would probably cost $4 or $5 thousand dollars. I don't really worry about where anything is made because it is made to (NIKON) specifications. The parts come from who ever knows where even when the camera say's "MADE IN JAPAN" on it. Nikon,Canon,Pentex or any other camera made all share quite a few parts made by Sony and other manufactures. The Camera company's just design a body and assemble them.
Ronnie
Old Aug 15, 2006, 5:16 PM   #9

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Darkdtshd,

I bought My D200 back in Jan or Feb this year. I got the Camera and MB-D200 battery pack and an extra battery on my way home from the PMA show in Orlando Florida. I had to wait two weeks for the 18/200 lens. It is a very good camera and I have had no trouble at all with it. The 18/200 lens will creep a little but I had Pentex lens's creep more. "Not really a problem." With two batteries installed in the MB-D200 I can shoot My weddings from start to finish without a worry about losing power. If I ever have a battery problem I can install "AA's" in the MB-D200 battery pack and just keep working. It is really a nice feeling and sturdy built camera. If it was put together in Japan it would probably cost $4 or $5 thousand dollars. I don't really worry about where anything is made because it is made to (NIKON) specifications. The parts come from who ever knows where even when the camera say's "MADE IN JAPAN" on it. Nikon,Canon,Pentex or any other camera made all share quite a few parts made by Sony and other manufactures. The Camera company's just design a body and assemble them.
Ronnie
Hello Ronnie,

Thanks for your post. I am considering the 18-200 VR lens also actually. Don't think the fact that it "creeps" will bother me.

Though, I disagree that if the D200 was "made in Japan" it would cost as much as you said. Plus, if Nikon thought it was important enough for their flagship model, the D2X (and I believe it's replacement...the D2Xs...and the D2H) to be made in Japan...that tells me even Nikon DOES indeed feel that there is a difference between having a camera made in their homeland versus in Thailand. Ditto for some of their hi-end lens.
Any how, we all have our views on this matter. To each his own I always say.

If I can overlook the fact that the D200 is made in Japan then I might pick one up for myself. It's not the sole deciding factor but one of the major ones for me.

Ohhh did you get "banding" problems being that you bought one of the D200's from the initial run?
Old Aug 15, 2006, 10:49 PM   #10

I never had the banding problem. Mine was in the second or third batch of D-200's.

If you want to see some photos from my D200 go to:

http://WWW.PHOTODEX.COM

click on on line sharing at top of page

in members name put ronnie948

Open up the wedding pictures by clicking on the1st. window.

This was a very hard wedding because of the terrible lighting. The ceremony pictures were done in candle light type setting with the lights turned so low. The outside pictures had the sun almost straight overhead, The reception was at a place on the beach with mixed lighting, plenty of mirrors and the whole beach side was all glass with the sun going in and out of the clouds changing the light every two minutes or so it seemed. The D200 and SB800 speedlights got the job done and I sold a ton of extra pictures along with the DVD slide shows.

I can find NOT ONE single fault with this D200 and 18/200 lens as far as any quality of thefinal photographs in the real world of photography is concerned. I shot that wedding in fine jpg. I could have shot using RAW & JPG setting and had both files of each picture. It was the very first wedding I did using the D200 and I was not that familiar with that mode at that time. I did use auto ISO at the reception. I really like this camera and lens. They do everything I need them to do, and they do it very well. I don't really care where it was made because it is put together perfect.

Ronnie