Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 11, 2006, 5:54 AM   #1

Hello, I am interested to know if there will be any problems fitting a Nikon dSLR with third party lenses such as lenses from Sigma, Tamron, and or Tokina? I know thatthose lens companiesclaimed support for Nikon dSLRs. However, I am concerned whether there will be any side effects which they have not mentioned. (Any user experience?)

Thanks & regards. (I don't want to buy Nikon lenses because they are rather expensive compared to what others are offering [Range and quality])
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2006, 7:36 AM   #2

I have a Sigma 18-200mm lens and it works just fine on my D50
Quikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 10:49 AM   #3
DBB

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Hello, I am interested to know if there will be any problems fitting a Nikon dSLR with third party lenses such as lenses from Sigma, Tamron, and or Tokina? I know that those lens companies claimed support for Nikon dSLRs. However, I am concerned whether there will be any side effects which they have not mentioned. (Any user experience?)

Thanks & regards. (I don't want to buy Nikon lenses because they are rather expensive compared to what others are offering [Range and quality])
All the ones you mention are reliable companies who make mounts for their lenses for different manufacturers...

There are no "side effects."

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 11:13 AM   #4
Administrator

From time to time, you do see comopatibility issues reported with some of the older Sigma lenses. That's because they reverse engineer the protocol used by the camera to talk to the lens, and sometimes things are overlooked.

In many cases, if you do get a lens with an issue, Sigma can rechip the lens (basically, installing newer instructions for how it talks to a camera).

Sigma normally doesn't charge for this service, other than for shipping costs. Not all lenses can be rechipped. Typically, higher end lenses can (for example, I've seen multiple reports of Sigma rechipping older 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses to work correctly with newer Nikon DSLR models).

Chances are, you won't have any problems, espeially if you're buying a newer lens.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 11:27 AM   #5

Okay thanks guys.

I was innitially thinking of getting the Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 SP Di II XR lens with a Nikon D50 dSLR body and then to get the newly (Just) announced Sigma APO 50-150 mm F2.8 DC lensat the end of this year. I was concerned about my earlier issues, now that it is solved, I can be more convinced. (I did feel strange planninga Nikon body and two different company lens).

I guess I will be that settled with the Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 (400 USD)andthe new Sigma 50-150mm F/2.8. But I guess that the new Sigma will be really costly...perhapes over 500 USDs considering it is a constant F2.8 aperture zoom??? (No pricing and availability was mentioned). http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06...ma50-150dc.asp

I am also worried about the Tokina AF 16-50mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX to be released later on this year; (I hope I won't regret not waiting for it, but the Tamron one currently has the best MTF values to date).

Code:
Later this year Tokina will also enter the market with the AF 16-50mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX so the era of limited standard zoom options for APS-C DSLRs is basically over now.
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...0_28/index.htm
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote