Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 11, 2006, 9:08 AM   #1

I have a vivitar 3700 flash with a dedicated Nikon module. It is an older flash that I have been using with my Panasonic FZ30. Any ideas if this flash will be compatible with the D50. The pins on the bottom of the module seem to be the same as the contacts on the D50 hotshoe. It also has a TTL setting.

Thanks for any input.
Vol Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2006, 11:57 AM   #2

If it doesn't say iTTL then its use on the D50 will be limited. The old TTL flash guns won't work with the DSLRs in TTL mode, usually just manual, or auto if it has a sensing "eye". The old & new flashes have the same contacts.

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 12:16 PM   #3

OK, it does have the sensing eye on the module. So it could be used until another could be purchased, right?
Old Aug 11, 2006, 7:43 PM   #4

Yes, it certainly can. Even on manual, it can be used, but a bit more trial and error will be required.

Keith.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 6:29 PM   #5

OK, got the D50. Attached the vivitar the dedicated nikon module, and the shutter button will not work as long as the flash is attached. SHould I take this as it simply too old to be compatible?
Old Aug 18, 2006, 6:58 PM   #6

No, I think it is fine - it just won't work in P mode. Put it in manual, set the shutter to something like 1/500s and the aperture to whatever you select on the flash.

Keith.

Vol Fan wrote:
Quote:
OK, got the D50. Attached the vivitar the dedicated nikon module, and the shutter button will not work as long as the flash is attached. SHould I take this as it simply too old to be compatible?
Old Aug 18, 2006, 7:15 PM   #7

Tried that too, tried setting flash mode in the camera menu to manual and to ttl, tried all modes (PASM) with multiple shutter settings, nothing. The flash icon is in the status window. It focuses when I press the shutter half way. Then when I press it the rest of the way down, nothing. Really weird, the flash works fine on my panasonic FZ20 and FZ30. My D50 will fire my strobes wiht the hotshoe adapter in place, so I know the hotshoe on the D50 works. Guess I need to get a different flash. Thanks for the help though.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 7:31 PM   #8

Do you have a non-Nikon module for the flash? The D50 will not work with an old TTL flash in TTL mode - it must be in manual, but a non-dedicated module should work in flash auto mode using the flash's built in sensor.

Keith.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 8:01 PM   #9

Nope, started to pick one up on a few locations but never did. Might have to try that, but I'm thinking I will just get another flash. Thing that really stinks is I just picked up a lightsphere to fit the Vivitar and I really like that thing, no matter how dumb it looks.