Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:08 AM   #1

When I bought my D50, I got the silver version, mainly cos that's the one I found cheapest at the time. Now I've started buying extras (lens + speedlight) I've realised that having the silver body is a bit pointless because the majority of gear out there is black! So I now wonder why the silver option exists if most of the extra gear doesn't match?

(Not that it stopped me buying other gear, I figure the colour isn't THAT important anyway....)
mustanir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2006, 12:48 PM   #2
rey

I was looking through a UK photog mag a couple of weeks ago when I saw a print ad for a silver D50, I couldn't stop laughing:-) They don't have that color in the US (yet). I guess it's aimed for those who like the RebelXT color.

I'd rather see one these:

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 5:13 PM   #3

I would laugh my ass off is someone made a clear body and light leaked into all the pictures!
From your "mock up?" It certainly looks like it would.
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 8:21 PM   #4

Film SLRs used to be silver colored with black lenses. That was the norm for decades. Black was unusual, and non-professionals preferred silver because the black enamel on the metal bodies chipped and flaked off easily.
rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 9:05 PM   #5
rey

Quote:
Film SLRs used to be silver colored with black lenses. That was the norm for decades. Black was unusual, and non-professionals preferred silver because the black enamel on the metal bodies chipped and flaked off easily.
That was because they used metal housing. I just thought a silver plastic is too tacky looking. Of course it depends on your taste. My friend has the original DigRebel 300D and he doesn't like my all black Nikon. I just thought the silver is too RebelXT-looking.

Though I must admit if they come out with a D50 on a Nikon Yellow color (even if not clear), I might be interested. I can then buy a gold Titlall tripod to match it.

Old Aug 13, 2006, 9:10 PM   #6
rey

Quote:
I would laugh my bottom off is someone made a clear body and light leaked into all the pictures! From your "mock up?" It certainly looks like it would.
I got that pic from another forum. I think the guy says he got if from a Chinese website. If you look closely about halfway through the image you'll see watermark in Chinese characters. The original pic was clear white, I added the yellow shade.

Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:45 PM   #7
Administrator

People have reported that sometimes they are allowed to bring in and use a silver camera in those venues that prohibit professional photography. Seems the security people profile you as a pro if your camera is black and as an amateur if it is silver.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 2:20 AM   #8

Steve said:

"Seems the security people profile you as a pro if your camera is black and as an amateur if it is silver."

.....and so do other photographers even though the reasoning does not hold water, so if you're in a lineup of photographers and you have the silver camera you drop several places in terms of status even before you press a button! It's a mad hobby!

Incidentally, Steve, I just love the final line on your review of one of the HP printers.

"I will always own a wide carriage printer whether I can justify it or not. But then again, I'm not married "

There's so much guilt attached to overindulging in kit when you're married, especially if your wife has limited hobbies and just one tatty frock. I'm widowed now and miss my wife no end, but it sure makes trips to the camera shop easier.

Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote