Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 13, 2006, 12:28 PM   #1

I've had regular digital cameras before and I'm considering the D50 and was curious how well it takes action pictures(college or pro football), and what would be the best lense for normal pictures and for the football games,I'm just a normal fan ,so I will be in the stands..looking for decent close up pictures.Thanks for your help.
bhester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:04 AM   #2

Hi bhester,

I use my D50 quite a bit for action shots of Men's senior football. Not quite college or pro.. but the action is intense and I'm quite satisfied with my images.

Attached Images

Sabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:05 AM   #3

sorry... no sweet clue how to attach more than one shot per post.

Attached Images

Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:06 AM   #4

Last one until I figure out how to post more than one in a post.
Attached Images

Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:12 AM   #5
rey

The key to shooting fast action is lighting and lens. You probably want an AF-S lens, so that the lens has focusing motor instead of the camera driving the lens as the D50 is pretty slow at that. The D50 also has the slowest burst, but I don't think that matters as much. If you know your sports and know when to time actions.

Focusing speed of the lens is the key because, for example, you don't know when the QB will throw the ball untill the ball is in the air. You will then have to pan to that receiver and the lens has to focus fast before you can take your shot.

The reach of the lens is also important. For NFL games, I don't think you can bring long enough lens if you sit on the stands. Also some pro events do not allow SLR type cameras (like Oakland Arena). For college games, if it's a small school college and you can get close, then a 300mm may be good enough.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:22 AM   #6

I shoot with a Nikon 70 - 300.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 8:22 PM   #7

Thanks for the pictures, they look good...I've used in the past a Kodak 6490, with a 10x zoom and I have some awesome pictures, but once the sun is gone I can forget about it. Thanks again
Old Aug 14, 2006, 8:26 PM   #8

Rey, how does the D50 work at night, the kodak I used was terrible. Yes ,I'll be in the stands, hopefully they won't question my camera to much. That would be a long walk back to the truck...It appears most everyone that has a D50 seems to love it, this will be my 1st SLR .,I have taken pictures for years, it's time to step up and get some better pictures.Thanks
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:25 AM   #9
rey

Quote:
Rey, how does the D50 work at night, the kodak I used was terrible. Yes ,I'll be in the stands, hopefully they won't question my camera to much. That would be a long walk back to the truck...It appears most everyone that has a D50 seems to love it, this will be my 1st SLR .,I have taken pictures for years, it's time to step up and get some better pictures.Thanks
The D50 is pretty good at controlling noise, but night shooting, in general, is a whole beast in itself.

If you're doing portrait or casual candid shooting of people withing a few feet you will need to use at least the fill flash, but external flash is recommended. Don't expect to hand hold the camera without flash or adequate lighting, it's just not possible for night shooting. For landscape shooting, you'll need a tripod. A VR lens might help, but it really only provide a couple of stops and only for camera shake and not if the subject is moving.

EDIT:
Sorry, the comment above is for general night shooting, not sports action.

I don't have any lens fast enough for night time sports action, so I can't speak base on experience. I just got my camera recently, and I will go to local High School football games to learn what my camera and lens can do, once the season starts. But I've seen people with fast lens shoot well on night games. But these are people with press pass and can get close to the sideline. Again it depends on the lighting and your distance from the action. You won't be able to use the flash, so your limited by field lighting. I would probably bring a monopad also, just to help with stability.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 1:40 PM   #10

Sabes,

And you should be satisfied with your photos. GREAT shots! Would you mind telling me what mode, Auto, A S M P, or....your camera was in when you shot these?

Which70-300 Nikon lens did you use.

I have a Nikon D50, but I am real new at dslr. The only lenses I have are the 18-55 and the 55-200. Looks like I need the 70-300 for sure.

Thank you for your time.

Respectfully,

divertwo
divertwo is offline   Reply With Quote