Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:58 PM   #1

I had just purchased the D70s kit, caught totally behind the 8ball vis a vis the new D80, having chosen it over the D200 (not sure why, save money I guess) Well the guys at Ritz where I bought it will take it back and give me full price for it in trade for a D200 kit ( their manager wants to talk me into their protection plan - pass) Heck, for the difference I could get on a list and buy a D80 and sell my D70s kit on ebay or soemthing, not sure what I could get now that it's obsolete - OR I could just get over my gear acquisition syndrome and be happy w/ my D70s which is a fantastic camera for what I've seen. Any advice?
clarkaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:06 PM   #2
rey

If you money is not a big issue for you, then get on the list now for D80 and sell your D70s when you do get the D80, probably two months from now. There should still be a market for a used D70s, especially if the shutter actuation count is low. Have you had your D70s for more than 30 days? If not then Ritz should take it back. Also if not more than 30 days, maybe you can still get a Mack warranty. That's usually transferable and could increase the re-sale value of the D70s if you do decide to sell it in the future.

But honestly, D70s is a great camera. I have the D50 that I bought a few months ago, and when I saw the specs for D80, I know I made the right decision of buying the D50.

Good Luck.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 5:42 PM   #3

I have a D70s and it's not the weak link in my photographic chain. By the time I figure out all that this one can do for me, Nikon will have had ten new models I couldn't do without. Keep your camera and enjoy it. There will always be bigger and better for just a little more.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 5:49 PM   #4

I wouldn't worry about being "stuck" with the D70s. It will perform well, and when you're ready to upgrade in several years, you'll get a bigger jump in technology than you would've have gotten by buying the D80 now. Techinically, the D80 is not replacing the D70s. The D70 is still part of the Nikon lineup (although it probably won't be for much longer).
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 6:09 PM   #5

someone a few posts up mentioned that they were happy they purchased the D50 even though the D80 just came out.

Is this because you feel the D50 is a better camera? Or a better value for the money?

I ask because I would like to purchase a Nikon camera and did like the D50, but the higher mega-pixel of the D80 is what is making me lean towards it over the D50.

I don't mind spending several hundred extra for the D80...

opinions: D50 vs D80. -is the D80 a better camera?
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 7:03 PM   #6
rey

Quote:
Is this because you feel the D50 is a better camera? Or a better value for the money?
Technically speaking, the D80 is a better camera. So, it's the second one. I think the D50 is a better value. The D80 is about twice the price. For the price difference, I can get a Tokina 12-24 or Sigma 10-20 that I've always wanted; or get the Nikon 18-200VR instead of settling for a Sigma or Tamron 18-200; or get two tanks of gas. The permutaion is endless. Ok, the that last one is an exaggeration, maybe in two years.

The D80's bigger sensor does give you the ability to print larger images. I don't see myself printing larger than 2 by 3 feet, so I'm not too worried about that. It also allows you to be sloppy with composition, and fix it later on your PC, something that you really should do right on camera. I shoot mostly landscape and portrait, so I can take my time and compose the shot. If you need to shoot on the go, like a war photojournalist or a paparazzi, perhaps, then a bigger sensor gives you that freedom.

Again, to each his own. If you have the money, get the D80, you won't regret it. It is a better camera than the D50 (I can't comment about noise comparison though, on high ISO).

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 7:54 PM   #7

thanks for clarifying.

I am a professional illustrator/graphic designer. I consider photography a serious hobby of mine, yet I do use a camera quite often for work.

Sounds like a D50 will definitely meet my needs, yet the D80 is a newer and presumbably more technically advanced camera.... decisions decisions! Anyway, I have time, I plan on doing this after a current job ends which gives me a few months to decide.

eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 9:11 PM   #8

I have printed as large as 16X20 with D50 files. 8x10 prints or smaller will yield excellent results with the D50. Unless you need the extra bells and whistles, the D50 should suit you fine.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 6:32 PM   #9

How large can you actually print a good D50 pic before you get to pixels?
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 6:59 PM   #10

You have to keep viewing distances in mind. So even though a 16x20 will show visible pixels upon close inspection, from several feet away, the picture will look fine. I've found that anything above 11x14 will show some quality issues when inspected closely. However, there is software (genuine fractals being one) that will allow upsizing will very little loss in quality, and the ability to print quite large.