Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:09 PM   #11

Rey, thanks for your detailed and informative reply.* I'm still thinking 70s, but will revisit the 50 based on your comments plus others on another forum concerning the difference in noise between the 70s and 50 (supposedly the 50 is superior).* I really like the viewfinder grid option and the spotmeter on the 70s, and it would be hard to give those up to go "back" to the 50.

If I was pulling the trigger tonight, it'd be:

D70s

12-24 Tokina

28-200 Nikon G

Eventually (once my finances have recovered) I would like to add a 50/1.8D and an SB800 (wife's business and I would share the cost and use of that one).*I have two very good Slik tripods and bags aplenty, from film days (Tamrac) so no worries there.* Gotta have some CF cards, and found Lexar 1G's on buy.com for like $25 shipped, so no great expense there.

FastEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 8:17 AM   #12

rey wrote:
Quote:
The larger sensor on D80 is nice, it gives you more leeway on cropping.
The D80 does not have a measurably larger sensor. It does have more megapixels (10 vs 6).

The D80 is quite feature rich, offering much of what the D200 offers. If you require extra control the D80 is the way to go. However, for the newbie/beginning amateur, the D50 is a great camera that will satisfy most users.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 8:20 AM   #13

Log wrote:
Quote:
rey wrote:
Quote:
The D70s is three years old, a lot has changed since it was released.
how do you figure it came out june of 2005

-Logan
The D70s is virtually the same camera as the D70 (which was released a few years ago). The only difference is a larger LCD and an upgraded menu system. Feature and performance wise the D70s is identical to the D70.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 9:35 AM   #14

Actually, I don't fit either "profile". I"m not a beginner, at least as far as photography in general goes. I've been shooting 35mm as an on again off again "serious" hobby since mid 1970s. I *am* relatively new to digital, however, and am still somewhat in the learning curve.

The D80 appeals to me in the same way that the D200 does: I'd love to have one, but resources are insufficient. That being the case, my choices are the D50 or the D70s. After a fair amount of research on this and other boards, I have come to the conclusion that, if you have a limited budget (guess we all have *some* limit), it is better to focus on (no pun intended) lenses first, and camera body second. I have all but completely decided upon the Tokina 12-24 and the Nikon 28-200 G for my lenses. If I were willing to accept the kit lens only with, the D80 would be a valid option.

Of course, at some future point, I could either add a newer body or replace whichever body I purchase now. Prices are sure to decline and, in a year or two, I might be in a position to pick up a D80 (or newer) body. I really prefer to work with two cameras, at times, to eliminate lens changes and resulting missed shots.

Eddie
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:40 AM   #15

A question:

From Steve's D50 review:

"The fixed eye-level penta-Dach-mirror type viewfinder shows approximately 95% of the captured frame with approx. 0.75x magnification. It has dioptric adjustment (–1.6 to +0.5 m–1) and a comfortable 18mm eye relief with a fairly wide viewing angle. It employs a fixed Type B BriteView Clear Matte screen Mark V with superimposed focus brackets and on-demand grid lines."

I have read elsewhere that the 50 does *not* have the option of viewfinder grid lines, whereas the 70s does. Can anyone confirm that, one way or the other?

Eddie
Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:48 PM   #16

The D50 does not have grid lines. All other current Nikon DSLR's do have the grid lines.