Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:47 AM   #1

After (too) much research, too little sleep, much soul searching, and lunch-money saving, I *think* I've narrowed my search down to a D70s and a couple of zoom's to start off with and would like some feedback on the selections:

Option One
D70s w/kit lens and Nikon 28-200 "G" lens
(Will necessitate purchase of additional extreme wide zoom before next May, essentially replacing the kit lens)

Option Two
D70s body only plus Tokina 12-24 and Nikon 28-200 "G"

From a total expense point of view, #2 makes more sense, but I may only have adequate funds in the near term for #1.

Any comments on the relative merits of the three lenses will be appreciated. I *know* they are not pro glass, but with limited budget, they seem the best bang-for-buck lenses for my needs.

TIA.

~Eddie
FastEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:56 AM   #2
rey

I would get the new D80 instead. You didn't say where you are, but in the US, some online stores are now taking pre-orders of this. The D70s is three years old, a lot has changed since it was released.

As far as lenses, your #2 option probably makes more sense in terms of focal length. I know the Tokina is a good lens, but I'm not familiar with the 28-200G. For a little more, maybe you should get the Sigma 18-200 instead. It's wider, and I've read good reviews of it... just something to consider.

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:02 PM   #3
Log

rey wrote:
Quote:
The D70s is three years old, a lot has changed since it was released.
how do you figure it came out june of 2005

-Logan
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 1:32 PM   #4

rey wrote:
Quote:
I would get the new D80 instead.* You didn't say where you are, but in the US, some online stores are now taking pre-orders of this.* The D70s is three years old, a lot has changed since it was released.

As far as lenses, your #2 option probably makes more sense in terms of focal length.* I know the Tokina is a good lens, but I'm not familiar with the 28-200G.* For a little more, maybe you should get the Sigma 18-200 instead.* It's wider, and I've read good reviews of it... just something to consider.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the input. I understand where you are coming from, but too fiscally chllenged for me to seriously consider. I'd love to have a D200 and 18-200VR, but that is not in the budget any more than the D80 and 18-200 Sigma. My research indicates that the 28-200 is demonstrably sharper than either the Tamron or Sigma 18-200. As it is, I'm going to have a hard time, I fear, convincing the CFO (wife of me) that I really *need* ANY of this stuff!

Any comments on lens performance, based on actual use of these two lenses would be very helpful. Body-wise, I'd love to move up to the D80, but afraid that a D70s is about all I can do; other option would be to go backwards, to a D50, but there are a couple of D70s features I find very desirable, knobs/buttons/wheels instead of menus, and a viewfinder alignment grid.

~Eddie
Old Aug 17, 2006, 1:43 PM   #5
rey

Quote:
how do you figure it came out june of 2005
The D70s is basically the old D70 with firmware upgrade and larger LCD, not much else.

Old Aug 17, 2006, 1:47 PM   #6
rey

Quote:
Any comments on lens performance, based on actual use of these two lenses would be very helpful. Body-wise, I'd love to move up to the D80, but afraid that a D70s is about all I can do; other option would be to go backwards, to a D50, but there are a couple of D70s features I find very desirable, knobs/buttons/wheels instead of menus, and a viewfinder alignment grid.
Here's a Pbase site for sample images of 28-200:
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/28_200_3556g_af

Good Luck!
Old Aug 17, 2006, 3:49 PM   #7

Given that my budget will not allow D80 and the two lenses I have mentioned (and will be a stretch, even with D70s) would you recommend the D50 over the D70s. If so, why?

Eddie
Old Aug 17, 2006, 3:54 PM   #8

rey
Here's a Pbase site for sample images of 28-200:
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/28_200_3556g_af
[/quote]

I see nothing here that would give me pause. I think this is my lens.

Eddie
Old Aug 17, 2006, 4:21 PM   #9

Because it's cheaper! Make sure the extra features are worth the extra money to you.

Keith.

FastEddie wrote:
Quote:
Given that my budget will not allow D80 and the two lenses I have mentioned (and will be a stretch, even with D70s) would you recommend the D50 over the D70s. If so, why?

Eddie
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 5:12 PM   #10
rey

Quote:
First off, between the D50 and D80, hands down I'll pick D50. D80 is twice the price and doesn't offer much for it's cost. The larger sensor on D80 is nice, it gives you more leeway on cropping. But as I shoot mostly landscape and other predictable subjects, so I just compose the shot right on camera. If you shoot unpredictable stuff, like when you're moving a lot and don't have the split second to compose the shot, then the D80 is the way to go. You can be sloppy and fix composition later.

Between D70s and D50, the D70s has a couple of main advantage. The main thing is that it has wireless remote for external flash. That means you can get the cheaper SB600 and have wireless capability. With D50, you have to buy the SB800 to get the same feature. The second dial on the D70s is nice, but I don't really miss it much. The only quick access I find missing on D50 is switching between Matrix and Spot Metering. For that, you have to go to the LCD menu.

Finally, between the D50 and D70s. When I bought my camera, the D50 was at it's lowest price. I got the D50, 18-55 and 70-300G and a Nikon bag for $680, all new, and the lenses came with 5yr USA warranty. Purchased separately, it would have cost $140 more. So it was no brainer that I picked the D50 package. It was like getting the 70-300G for free. Bang for the buck, as the cliche goes.

At today's prices, I'll probably pick the D50 still. I've owned my camera for a few months now and I have no regrets. I love my D50!

You'll love it even more if you get the Tokina 12-24 lens or Sigma 10-20, since the Tokina is hard to find. With those lenses you can produce great landscape shots that you'll normally find on calendars.

EDIT: Oh yeah, don't forget the "total cost of ownership" (god, I hate that marketing tem). You will need a stable tripod (starts at ~$100), camera bag, memory card, cleaning kit, and maybe an indoor lens, like the 50mm F/1.8 prime. If you shoot a lot of indoor, you may need an external flash (I dont' have one yet).

Good Luck!