Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 17, 2006, 9:08 PM   #1

I have been reading this manual and it's all Greek to me! How, if it's possible, do I set up the camera so that don't have to use the viewfinder, I'd like to use the monitor if I could, to take shots? I am starting to think this camera is not user friendly enough for me.
Melozia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2006, 1:41 AM   #2
rey

It looks like you didn't your research thoroughly. DSLR in general do not use the LCD screen to take shots. Only this year that that Olympus, and others who released cameras based on that Olympus, are able to use the LCD to take shots.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 7:09 AM   #3

Because of DSLR's design (using a mirror and shutter), the sensor is covered until the moment you press the release button, making it impossible to compose the shot using the lcd. Given the large size of a DSLR with a lens (especially a larger telezoom), using the lcd to compose would be an unsteady proposition that would likely lead to blurry pics due to camera shake. Even the olympus DSLR's that have live preview use a second sensor that doesn't give a true what you see is what you get when shooting.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 5:00 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses...I have had a few days to use the camera and I really love it. Very user friendly even for someone, like me, without alot of experience. Thanks again. I am sure I will continue to enjoy it as I unlock all of it's 'secrets'.
Melozia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 5:44 PM   #5
rey

Here's a couple of sites that may be useful to you:

http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/enjoydslr/index.html
http://www.morguefile.com/archive/classroom.php

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote