Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 21, 2006, 1:52 AM   #1

I purchased my D-70 in Dec 2004. In June of 2005 the shutter quit working and the camera was sent in (I purchased extended warranty). It took six months to repair and get the camera back. Just today, the same problem happened where I get an error message on the LCD screen and the shutter will not operate. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I hate to have to wait another six months for this repair!! I think this would justify replacement of this defective product. Needless to say, I am not very happy with this camera and wonder why I did not go with Cannon.
sailorboy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2006, 2:16 AM   #2
rey

What's the error message? is the green light blinking? there is known "blinking green light of death" problem with the D70. Nikon will fix it for free.

Sorry about your camera.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 2:26 AM   #3
rey

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask:

When you say the shutter failed the first time. Did you mean, the camera just won't fire or did you mean, the physical shutter failed? Shutters failed after a certain number of actuations (no matter what brand), so if it's the latter case, I'm curious what the actuation count was when it did fail.

Also, when you say it took six months to get the camera back for repair, what extended warranty did you have? Was is a Mack warranty? Was is it a store warranty? The problem with extended warranties, in general, is that they are not serviced by manufacturer. I've read stories of a guy who sent his Canon in for warranty repair and Mack replaced the dial with the wrong parts. He had to send it to Canon to get the right parts. Basically, 3rd party warranties are hit-and-miss since they rely on the manufacturer for parts, and they're usually swamped with repairs.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 4:20 PM   #4

When I press down on the shutter button, basically nothing happens. There is a very slight noise like it wants to fire but nothing mechanical happens (mirror does not move up). I checked the last photos I took and the number was at 10,736 (the sequencing reset itself at 10,000). Maybe 10,000 shots is the limit of this camera. I don't know what the number of shots were last time it happened but I suspect it was far less.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 4:23 PM   #5

I forgot to mention that the error message is not the blinking green light. The LCD on the top says "Err" when the shutter is pressed, otherwise, everything seems to look normal. The "mirror lock" function in the menu is also greyed out and I do not know if this was an available function prior to this incident.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 6:03 AM   #6

sailorboy56,

Please let us know when you find the answer to your problem. My Son has the very same type problem. He is sending his camera back to be repaired. He tried every solution he could find....in his manual andon the internet. He only had around 2000 shutter releases on his camera.

Will find out exactly what it took to repair his camera and post the answer here.

divertwo
divertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 6:39 AM   #7

What lens are you using?? does it have an aperature ring?? If so, it needs to be set to the smallest aperature (highest fstop number).
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:49 PM   #8

I am using the lens that came with the camera. It is the AF-S 18-70. There is no apature ring. It was interesting that I was in the middle of shooting several images when it quit with no changes to any settings on the camera. I am not a professional photographer but do shoot quite a bit - maybe more than this camera can handle.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 1:42 PM   #9
Administrator

When a camera malfunctions for no apparent reason like this, the first thing I would suggest trying is cleaning the contacts (lens, lens mount on camera, battery contacts). At a minimum, remount your lens to see if it's connection related and try a different lens if you have one to rule out a lens malfunction.

A bad connection can cause problems, and just because contacts appear to be clean upon visual inspection, doesn't mean that a touch of oxidation hasn't built up impacting current flow.

I'd make sure to use all dials, switches and buttons, too (just in case a touch of oxidation has built up under one of them causing a problem, or it's not all the way in the correct position).

If you have access to another battery, I'd try one to make sure it's not a defective battery causing problems, too. They don't last forever.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 1:46 PM   #10

JimC,

I appreciate all of the ideas. I tried two different lenses as well as different batteries and switched through all of the dial settings. It seems the only thing is to send in back and hope it returns quicker this time. I will attempt to deal with Wolfs Camera and explain this is the same problem I had last time as see if they will replace or give me a loaner with the extended warranty.