Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 21, 2006, 5:35 PM   #1

I took these photos using my new 50mm f/1.8 in very low light, often shooting into or towards a direct light source at f/1.8When I got home, I realized that my shots had a crescent or elliptical shaped flare on them. I was shooting with a cheap ($12 Ritz Camera) UV filter over my lens.*I asked a pro photographer friend of mine about this, and he said that it occured from shooting at a wide open aperture directly into light.*What (if anything) can I do to resolve this?Thanks!
Attached Images

Dlatu1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2006, 5:50 PM   #2
Administrator

Anytime you are shooting into bright light sources, flare can be an issue. Sometimes using a smaller aperture (higher f/stop number) can help.

But, the first thing I'd try is removing that filter.

Anytime you put another piece of glass in front of your lens, you are risking more problems from refraction/reflection of light, and filters are a common cause of flare.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 6:50 PM   #3

Another reason to only use filters when trying to achieve a specific effect.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 10:01 PM   #4

Really?I've been hooked on filters since my Panasonix FZ20 days, where the general concensus was that it's "better to scratch a $20 filter than a $400 (or $4000) lens"I don't actually use it for any effects...to be honest, I don't even know what a UV filter DOES. I just pop them onto all my lenses for protection.*Is this not really an issue?
Dlatu1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 10:33 PM   #5

Its definitely the UV filter, same thing happened with me.

I thought my lens was haunted.. it was such a creepy ghost like green fog

Seriously though, the glass on the 50mm f1.8 is set soo deep into the lens theres no worries about scratching it.
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 10:54 PM   #6

Dlatu1983 wrote:
Quote:
Really?I've been hooked on filters since my Panasonix FZ20 days, where the general concensus was that it's "better to scratch a $20 filter than a $400 (or $4000) lens"I don't actually use it for any effects...to be honest, I don't even know what a UV filter DOES. I just pop them onto all my lenses for protection.?Is this not really an issue?
Anytime you put another piece of glass on your lens you increase the chances for potential problems, such as flair, vignetting, softness etc. Most filters nowadays can be replicated in photoshop. The only filters I use are polarizing and ND filters.

In terms of protection, a lends hood does just as well. Small scratches likely won't affect image quality, and if you bang a filter hard enough to break it, the resulting shards will likely gouge your lens anyway. Add the fact that most cheap filters aren't coated or even close to being quality glass..I just don't think they are a good idea. I used to use protective filters...after about 10 years of never damaging a filter while occassionally fighting issues like flare, I took the plunge and stopped using them. I still haven't damaged a lens. The one exception is if I'm going to be in poor/rough conditions, like at the shore.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote