Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:06 PM   #1

D70s + 18-70 + 55-200 "bundle" can be had for a little over a grand, online. I've just about decided in favor of the D70s over the D50, and the 18-70 seems a sure bet. But, how about the 55-200? I've been looking fondly at the 28-200 G, but it is becoming increasingly difficult to find and is a fair bit more money than the D70s two lens bundle referred to above.

Any comments on the relative merits of the 55-200 and 28-200 (as well as any other telezooms) will be appreciated. Just for reference, I've also been considering the Nikkor 70-300 G and the Sigma 70-300 APO Macro.

Thanks a bunch

Eddie
FastEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:27 PM   #2
rey

I don't have any of the lenses you mentioned, but in general the 55-200 is decent for its price. The Sigma 70-300 DG APO is another favorite for its semi-macro feature. If you can wait, and if you can stretch your budget, you may want to pre-oder Nikon's upcoming 70-300 VR. It's $530, not bad for a VR lens.

If you wanna get it now, be sure to checkout packages at Cameta.

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 9:02 AM   #3

rey wrote:
Quote:
I don't have any of the lenses you mentioned, but in general the 55-200 is decent for its price.* The Sigma 70-300 DG APO is another favorite for its semi-macro feature.* If you can wait, and if you can stretch your budget, you may want to pre-oder Nikon's upcoming 70-300 VR.* It's $530, not bad for a VR lens.

If you wanna get it now, be sure to checkout packages at Cameta.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the info, Rey. Unfortunately, the ~$530 is a buget buster for me. Looks like I'm going to have a max of $1200 US for camera and two lenses. Camera and first lens look to be D70s with 18-70 kit. From what I read, one could hardly go wrong with that combination. I can get the 55-200 as part of a two lens kit for about $150 more. My first choice, based on what I have read online, would be the Nikkor 28-200 G, and I'm willing to spend the $315 to get it, *if* it is that much better lens than the others I've looked at, and if (big "if") I can find one, as it has been discontinued and is in short supply. Two aspects of the 28-200 are the range (42-300mm equivalent), which closely matches my typical needs (I like to frame a bit tightly) and my impression that this lens provides very good sharpness for the money. I've seen a lot of very positive commentary on the OQ of this lens, online.

Any further comments/suggestions much appreciated.

~Eddie
FastEddie is offline   Reply With Quote