Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:16 PM   #1

I came across an old speedlite which I had with a Canon AE-1.

How compatible is this with my D50? Will there be any advantage of this flash over the built-in flash on the D50? The Canon flash has a guide number of 55.

Do I put the flash and camera both into MAUAL mode, and then start snapping pictures & change the settings until I find the correct exposure? I am guessing that the in camera exposure guide will not be accurate.

stevem1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2006, 4:08 AM   #2

I think you should be able to use the flash in Auto and set the camera in manual. Set the aperture on the camera to the same as you set on the flash and set the shutter to 1/500s or less. The exposure should then be adjusted by the built in sensor in the flash.

Keith.

stevem1928 wrote:
Quote:
I came across an old speedlite which I had with a Canon AE-1.

How compatible is this with my D50? Will there be any advantage of this flash over the built-in flash on the D50? The Canon flash has a guide number of 55.

Do I put the flash and camera both into MAUAL mode, and then start snapping pictures & change the settings until I find the correct exposure? I am guessing that the in camera exposure guide will not be accurate.

keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 2:47 PM   #3

Thanks. From what you are saying, it sounds as if there is some auto capabilities with the flash sensing the light coming back.

I will give this a try. I was just going to play a guessing game. Now I have something to go on.

stevem1928 is offline   Reply With Quote