Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 24, 2006, 1:37 PM   #1

Howdy,

I have a D50. I want to get a flash. Should I get the SB-600 or SB-800? Now, I've heard people say, If you get the SB-800 for the D50, it will be the commander and you will need to get an extra SB-600, etc. I'm kind of confused about what I need to buy along with a flash.I'm thinking about getting the SB-800 for my Nikon D50. Can anyone tell me the differences between the SB-600 and the SB-800? (Like, what you have to buy for each one to work with your D50; what the price differences are,etc.) And please name all oftheaccessories that go with the two flashes. Thanks.

-TheCartoonist

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

- Romans 5:8
TheCartoonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2006, 3:35 PM   #2

Th SB800 can be used as a remote commander to control other SB600 or Sb800 flashes off camera. It is also slightly more powerful, comes with a dome diffuser and color correcting gels. It also can be tilted down in addition to the regular bounce settings. There are a few other bells and whistles, but nothing earth shattering. Unless you feel like you'll be using multiple flash setups, the SB600 will do everything you need.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 4:00 PM   #3

So, if I were to buy the SB-600, what acessories would I need to buy along with it? I read somewhere that if you bought a SB-600, you would need to buy a cord forthe SB-600 to connect to the D50or something like that. (I really don't know.) Please help.

-TheCartoonist

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

Old Aug 24, 2006, 4:54 PM   #4

Hi Cartoonist,

It would probably be a better investment for you to get the SB-800 first.

Later if you decide to get a new Nikon camerayou will have a flash that can be used off camera using the camera pop-up as the Master. Not possable with the SB-600. The 600's can only be used as remotes. Also the 800 has more power.

If you decide you want to get another flash to use for portraits with a Main & a fill light ,you will already have the 800, Then you can look for a used SB-600 on E-Bay. That is where I picked up my SB600.

Until the 30th there is a $25.00 rebate from Nikon on the SB-800 & a $15.00 rebate on the SB-600.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 5:15 PM   #5

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Cartoonist,

It would probably be a better investment for you to get the SB-800 first.
It would only be a better investment if the poster plans on using this function
Quote:
Later if you decide to get a new Nikon camerayou will have a flash that can be used off camera using the camera pop-up as the Master. Not possable with the SB-600. The 600's can only be used as remotes. Also the 800 has more power.
I'm not sure I understand what your saying here. :? The Sb600 can be used off camera and controlled with the Nikon bodies that have remote commander flashes (the D70s, D200 etc) or it can be controlled by an SB800 that is set to commander mode. The D50 is the only current body that does not have this function. The Sb600 cannot be used as a remote commander on theD50....if using this feature is not in your plans, I would save the extra $130 and just get the 600 over the 800.

No additional cables or connections are needed to attach the Sb600 to the D50 or any other camera.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 7:37 PM   #6

What I'm saying is with his D50 He can purchase the 800 first and if He decides to keep the D50 for a while He can get add a 600 later. With the two flashes he will be able to take great portraits. If he decides later to get a D80 he will have a really great set-up and have both flashes as remotes if needed.

Both the 600 & 800 are good on camera but the 800 still has more power when needed. I have both and I like the 600 but I love the 800.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 7:48 PM   #7

I completely agree. I wouldn't trade the SB800 for anything. I have one Sb800 and 2 Sb600's. The power difference between the two flashes is marginal, and I actually find the display and menu configuration of the SB600 to be better than that of the SB800. I still stand by my argument that if multi flash use is not in your plans, you're better off saving the money and just picking up the SB600.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 8:17 PM   #8

I have an SB600 and have never needed more than it has. It is a great flash and works well. I have never used moe than one flash at a time, when I need more light from more angles I use my cheezy clamp lights with daylight floods and they work great indoors for about $20. I do use the 600 on a handle and bracket nad I think is's an sc-17 cord. I have used it on the handle with the pop up as a trigger with about the same results. Get the 600 and pocket the extra cash for a half a tank of gas.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 2:24 PM   #9

Can the SB-600 be attached where the little flash on the D50 is? I've seen pro photographers walk around with their flashes on top of where their built-in flashes go. Can the SB- 600 do this?Can it then replace the little built-in flash and be the main flash?I really just want to walk around with the SB-600 on top of my camera. That's really all.

-TheCartoonist

Old Aug 25, 2006, 2:44 PM   #10

TheCartoonist wrote:
Quote:
Can the SB-600 be attached where the little flash on the D50 is? I've seen pro photographers walk around with their flashes on top of where their built-in flashes go. Can the SB- 600 do this?Can it then replace the little built-in flash and be the main flash?I really just want to walk around with the SB-600 on top of my camera. That's really all.
Yup, I just got the Sb-600, and thats all I use, and ever plan on really using mine for.

Its also fun to also do long exposures at night and run around with the sb-600 lighting up random things (since you can fire it manually off camera)

Also when its hooked up to the top of your camera, it has a really nice Autofocus assist light that lights up for a fraction of a second (and autofocus's even in pitch black lighting)
And its red and doesn't stand out too much.

All in all its a very versatile powerfull flash, and is incredibly easy to use, In its automatic modes.

I recommend the sb-600 for you, it doesn't sound like you need to spend the extra money on the sb-800
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote