Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 24, 2006, 7:49 PM   #1

[align=left]I have had my D200 for about 6 months with no problems. Today I was taking pictures with a Nikon 80-400VR lens and I noticed that after the picture was taken it would take a second or two for something to click back into place. I don't know if it was the shutter or the viewfinder.
I would take the picture...then there would be a hesitation...I would hear a click and the black sight in the viewfinder would move up. The camera would take the picture...I would hear the shutter but then I heard another click after that.I tried taking pictures with several lenses but they all did the same thing.All the pictures turned out OK.
I would appreciate any help
[/align]
Tonyv49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2006, 9:34 PM   #2

On an SLR, the mirror must move up and out of the way in order for the light to get to the sensor,(after the shutter opens). Then, after the shutter closes, the mirror must flop back down into place. While an exposure is being made, the viewfinder will black out until the mirror returns to its normal position. That said, it sounds as if your mirror is sticking momentarily before returning. This won't affect your picture as far as exposure or focus, but it may eventually stick in the up position. This is only my best guess, maybe some others on this forum will have an idea. Sorry for your trouble...

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 3:53 PM   #3

I just bought my D200 two weeks ago, I also own a KM 7D (I'm keeping both, until I can afford some VR lenses). I didn't realize how helpful AS/IS/VR until I didn't have that option anymore.

This morning while doing some practice shots, I also experienced a delayed noise. At first I thought my finger hit the Function button or the DOF Preview. I don't think it was the mirror that was stuck, it sounded more like a shutter curtain than a mirror slap. I was running late for work so I couldn't investigate this futher. Then on my break, I read this post....now I'm curious.
Just incase somebody wanted to know...my settings were Single shot, AF-S and I was using the kit (18-70) lens.
yoza717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 4:36 PM   #4

The VR functionon the 80 to 400 will click about a second or two after the shutter is released as it locks back into place, assumingthis functionwas on. Ithink that is what you are hearing. This is normal on VR lens.
WCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 4:58 PM   #5

WCube wrote:
Quote:
The VR functionon the 80 to 400 will click about a second or two after the shutter is released as it locks back into place, assumingthis functionwas on. Ithink that is what you are hearing. This is normal on VR lens.

I don't own a vr lens, so I couldn't say for sure that was his problem, but after re-reading his post, and what you said, I have to agree. Had he not been using a vr lens he most probably would have had a problem. Thanks for clearing that up :idea:

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 5:26 PM   #6

I also used a Sigma 24-70mm lens that I just bought and it did the same thing. The Sigma is not a VR lens. This is happening with VR and non VR lenses.

Tony
Tonyv49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 9:25 PM   #7
Administrator

Are you sure you don't have it set to Self Timer with a 2 second delay (not taking the photo until 2 seconds after you press the shutter button)?

Or, could you be shooting in Mirror Lockup Mode (one press to flip the mirror up, another to take the photo and flip it down)?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote