Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 28, 2006, 4:40 PM   #1

Does anyone have the MB-D200 Battery Pack and if so would you tell us if you think it isworth the price. I have  had a D1x now for nearly 5 years and am ready to get a new camera but don't want to spend the big bucks for the D2X. I have always used the pro-level of Nikons starting with the F2 and motor drive. It seems like you would need the MB-D200 Battery Pack if you don't want to carry around 10 pounds of AA's in your bag. Any suggestions would be helpful. Jimdigital
jimdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2006, 4:54 PM   #2

The D200's proprietary battery is very long lived. Nikon claims up to 1800 shots per charge. The battery pack is useful if you like the larger size it lends to the camera and will give even longer battery life, but you'll rarely run down a fully charged battery out in the field. The camera itself does not accept AA's, but the battery pack does...it also accepts one or two of the proprietary batteries. I don't think rechargeable AA's are all that convenient because of their discharge rate over time. If you don't use them, they slowly lose charge and your bound at some point in time to encounter discharged batteries when you need them.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 5:58 PM   #3

Thanks rj,I guess we can also buy more rechargables to use with out buying the MB-D200 Battery PackI photograph livestock, mostly cattle and when I have him or her standing and looking just right with the sun just right on the, well you know  the breeding or nurseing parts, the last thing I need to do is put a bunch of AA batteries in the camera. Right now I always have a recharged battery in my hip pocket that I can just slip in. 
Old Aug 28, 2006, 6:04 PM   #4

Quote:
I guess we can also buy more rechargables to use
I assume your refering to the proprietary EN-EL3e lithium battery. AA's cannot be used in the D200 without using the battery pack.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 6:10 PM   #5

Yes, exactly. I was also looking at the Fugi S3 Pro and checked that off assoon as I read that it only took AA's.  I'm a little concerrned about the sharpness using the D200. but that's a different post. Jd
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:15 PM   #6

Hi there,

I have the D200 with the MB-D200 battery pack. I would not trade the battery pack for anything. Someone talked about the rechargable batteries running down and that is true. However, if you only have one of the standard batteries and it is expended on a heavy day of shooting then what do you do? You have to recharge!!! I take weeks off at a time and do photo shoots in National Parks. I would rather carry two sets of batteries with me and get the shot than to miss it due to a dead battery.

Rechargable batteries have come a long way and you MUST buy at least a 2500 mah battery for this camera. I have used duracell standard off the shelf (non-rechargeable at about 1500 mah) and it took 3 sets for the one day .. that is 3x6 = 18. However, a fully charged set of rechargables in the 2500 mah range lasted 2 to 3 days of heavy shooting. I could not believe it.

Buy a good slow/rapid charge unit that you can either run off the cigarette lighter in your car or get an inverter to run the charger. The best are made by Maha Energy (think that is right). With a little experience you will never be caught without a charged set of batteries.

I have only used the batterry that came with my D200 during cleaning the sensor. Two to three sets of charged (rechargable) batteries stay in the camera bag when I GO for a shoot. I highly recommend the set up.

Bill
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 6:12 AM   #7

Different people have different shooting needs. If I shot every day, I wouldn't be as concerned with using AA's and them slowly discharging, as I would be constantly charging them. Since I tend to shoot in bursts (lots of shooting one day, then no shooting for another 10 days) the lithium battery works much better. I always carry a spare, and have never run out during a shoot. Besides, I like to travel light, and its easier for me to carry two small lithiums than 12 to 18 AA's. That's just my preference and should no means be interpreted as the "best way".
Old Aug 29, 2006, 8:59 AM   #8

The MB-D200 battery pack allows for "AA"s in a pinch. I use two EN-EL3 Nikon battery's. They have lasted all day and 1/2 the night doing weddings and still had a good charge left when done. I do keep a loaded insert with regular "AA"s just in case I would need to use it.(never needed it yet)

The MB-D200 also has a vertical shutter release and is a dream to use. It also makes the D200 feel perfect to hold either horizontal or vertical. I like it and I'm happy I purchased it.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 9:33 AM   #9

Thanks everyone for your input. Since I'm often out in a pasture trying to avoid cowpie andcactie the MB-D200 sounds like a good investment and from the extra weight at the bottom it looks like it would feel the same as the D1X. More balanced vertical or horizonal. Does BH have the best price on the camera and accesseries? Jd.PS. How do I edit my profile in this forum?
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:00 PM   #10

Jim,

I get a lot of my stuff from www.Onecall.com they are pretty good guys and have done me right all the time. I have spent a lot of money with them and they always made dealing with them a joy. They are in Washington State I think and I am in Cali so everything comes rapidly once I order it. That is where I got my battery pack. I also bought my warranty there for my D200.

Bill
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote