Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 28, 2006, 9:50 PM   #1

Ok, this question is directed at D50 owners or those with D50 experience. I am looking to buy an SLR, and I intend to make large prints... perhaps as large as two by three feet. Is the 6mp D50 equal to this task, or do I need more mps?

Thanks,

- Bpp
Ballpointpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2006, 10:31 PM   #2

I have made quality 12x18 and even 16x20 prints with a d50. From normal viewing distances, there is no percievable loss of quality. If you inspected very closely, I'm sure you could spot some loss in quality. 2'x3' is very large, and would probably require some upsizing software such as "Genuine Fractal" to ahcieve decent quality. That being said, if your viewing distance is again the key. If your across the room, the print would probably look fine. If your up close, its likely a different story. Aside from the real high end offerings from Canon and Nikon (bodies costing over $3000), I don't know that any current DSLR could handle print sizes that large without some upsizing software.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:24 PM   #3

The D50's resolution will most likely not satisfy your requirements of 2' x 3'. The image will most likely look blocky at any normal viewing distance.
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 10:03 PM   #4

Thanks for the answers. What exactly does upsizing software do, and how much does it go for?
Ballpointpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:56 PM   #5

Webapprentice wrote:
Quote:
The D50's resolution will most likely not satisfy your requirements of 2' x 3'. The image will most likely look blocky at any normal viewing distance.
This is incorrect information.....for several years 6MP images have been blown up to billboard sizes. It's all in how well you interpolate the image (I have more than one 8x10 image on my walls taken by a 2MP camera).
Old Aug 30, 2006, 3:40 AM   #6

You just need to re-size in your editing software to prevent the pixels showing. It won't make up for any potential lack of detail though.

Keith.

Webapprentice wrote:
Quote:
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 7:43 AM   #7

I agree with rjseeny, definitely use genuine fractals, it works better than anything I've ever seen.

Steve
colasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 7:31 PM   #8

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
I have made quality 12x18 and even 16x20 prints with a d50. From normal viewing distances, there is no percievable loss of quality. If you inspected very closely, I'm sure you could spot some loss in quality. 2'x3' is very large, and would probably require some upsizing software such as "Genuine Fractal" to ahcieve decent quality. That being said, if your viewing distance is again the key. If your across the room, the print would probably look fine. If your up close, its likely a different story. Aside from the real high end offerings from Canon and Nikon (bodies costing over $3000), I don't know that any current DSLR could handle print sizes that large without some upsizing software.
Just saw this same question in the Pentax DSLR forum, same image size as D50.

rjseeney, good advice (as usual) I should try to get my hands on Genuine Fractals.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:53 PM   #9

I own and use Genuine Fractals on a regular basis. It appears to be the best thing going for enlargement of photos. I think it was either $75 or $150 but well worth the money. It also works within PHotoshop CS and Photoshop Elements. You can easily double or even quadruple the size if your photo without a lot of quality loss (the program says you can enlarge 800% but I think that is pushing it). Be sure to do your editing after you enlarge the photo and not before for best results.

Bill
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 1:24 AM   #10
rey

Is it true that if you enlarge incrementally you get a better result, compare to enlarging in one step?

rey is offline   Reply With Quote