Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:11 AM   #1

I have decided the D50 is the best choice for me. Yeah! But, I am so overwhelmed with the packages and lenses:??. Whatkit would you recommend? What lenses? I primarity take pictures of people and nature.

What is a good price? Any hints on where to buy? I need this camera as soon as possible. PLEASE HELP!

hippyaatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:46 AM   #2
rey

Nikon now has several packages for this. I'd go with the one with 18-55mm lens. If you can, get the one with 55-200mm lens as well. Those are two good lenses, and the 18 to 200mm range covers most needs.

(I'm assuming you're in the US, as you didn't mention it)
As for where to buy, be sure to always check resellerratings.com for ratings as there are lots of scammers out there.

Checkout the following stores:

Cameta: http://stores.ebay.com/Cameta-Camera
bhphotovideo.com
adorama.com
buydig.com or beachcamera.com

I got mine from Cameta. They sell packages bundle with other stuff, and usually for the same price or less you can get at least a free Nikon bag. If you want a new camera, just make sure you pick the right stuff as they also sell refurbished. The new ones will say the lens comes with 5 year USA warranty.

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 9:12 PM   #3

Thanks for thetip!

I bought the package with 2 tamron lenses, 2 gig card, bag, reader xtra battery.

I sure hope that it works! I am so excited!
hippyaatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:23 PM   #4
rey

If you've never used an SLR/DSLR before, there's a learning curve, but ones you learn you'll love the shots you get.

Be sure to post any questions here.

Congrats.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 8:52 AM   #5

Be careful with buydig/beach.

Make sure you know itf the price you get from them is for an official "USA" unit or a gray market unit with a warranty from some party other than the official domestic distributor.

-------------------- Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:18 AM   #6

Hey BillP2R,

Buydig and Beach Camera have a notice posted for each camera they list under :Condition:Then they tell you if it is new, or refurbished,and then they give the type warranty, (USA or?)in the same column. It's hard to miss this information.

My Family has purchased 3 cameras from Buydig and 2 from Beach and we are VERY satisfied with their service and their products. Will defintely buy from them again.

Respectfully,

divertwo

divertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 12:21 PM   #7
rey

Most stores sell gray market, USA version, refurb, brand new, it is your job to look at the box and see which one you are getting. I recommend the stores on that list because I, and friends, have bought from them and happy with them. Certainly there are other legit stores out there (Samy's and Roberts to name two) but I only mentioned the initial list because I've bought from them.

Peace.

Old Sep 1, 2006, 1:37 AM   #8

see my thread about scoring the deal at Office Depot.
This may be a national sale from them blowing out their D50 inventory with the 18-55mm kit lense for $499
Sky042 is offline   Reply With Quote