Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:27 PM   #1

Hi

I use a Pentax *istDL which is very similar to the D50 and I have a question. Are all of the pro level Nikkor lenses still full 35mm frame coverage or are many of them DX lenses? I find Canon's approach of building two sensor sizes may be a roadblock for Rebel owners who wish to move up market since their EF-S lenses will not work on the full-frame 5D or 1D models.

I know there has been a lot of discussion on this topic but it is still unresolved. Can technology "clean up" the noise issues of high density chips (the D2 models seem to be pretty clean) so that the so-called full frame sensor will not be necessary? As a Pentax owner I am hoping that will be the case (although, to be honest the kit lens is the only DA [small circle, equivalent to your DX] lens I own, all the rest are film lenses).

Just curious.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:34 AM   #2
rey

I don't really know what a "Pro" lens is for Nikon since they don't tag with anything the way Canon mark "L" on theirs. But looking at Nikon lenses at their website, the only lens that you can consider "Pro" that's a DX is the 17-55 F/2.8.

I think most Nikon users are crossing their fingers that if Nikon does come out with FF DSLR, they would provide some sort of High Speed Crop mode that allows the use of DX lenses.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 5:43 AM   #3

rey wrote:
Quote:
I think most Nikon users are crossing their fingers that if Nikon does come out with FF DSLR, they would provide some sort of High Speed Crop mode that allows the use of DX lenses.
Interesting point, never thought of that.

Ira
Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:51 AM   #4
NHL

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
I find Canon's approach of building two sensor sizes may be a roadblock for Rebel owners who wish to move up market since their EF-S lenses will not work on the full-frame 5D or 1D models.
This only applies if you bought the EF-s: 3rd party 'digital-only' lenses from Sigma, Tokina, or Tamron (which are equally excellent in most cases) have the full-frame mount which mean they also fit the full frame albeit they might vignette which are no different than the Dx lenses, but then you can still crop the resulting image in Photoshop

BTW Canon's has three sensors sizes (not two) for example the 1D MrkII/N @ 1.3x (APS-H) is half way between the APS-C and the full frame
-> This format can benefit from both, like the cropped advantage of a telephoto or the slighly better dynamic range of the full-frame...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 9:02 AM   #5

I have a D200 with a DX sized sensor. However, I will only buy full frame leses for this camera because I suspect they will eventually go to a larger sensor. I am trying to purchase only high grade glass and with the cost of these it seems to make sense. I would hate be caught with a bag full of DX lenses that I could not use on the latest camera.. of course there is no guarantee that I will still not get caught in that situation with what I am doing.

I also want to shoot some film so this route made more sense for me.

Bill
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 2:55 PM   #6

I think Nikon may eventually release a full frame camera, but I don't think APS sized sensor cameras are going anywhere. It allows a smaller form factor, keeps costs lower and does 95% of what the typical amateur user needs. I don't think anyone has to worry about getting stuck with DX glass.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 3:00 PM   #7

Thanks for the responses.

Ira
Old Dec 26, 2007, 6:47 PM   #8

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
rey wrote:
Quote:
Interesting point, never thought of that.

Ira
I want rey's crystal ball, description of the D3 written in Oct 2005!!!

Just had to revive this to point that out.

Ira